Author Topic: WTB ST style generator.. Edit- Found one.  (Read 1569 times)

keith71

• View Profile
WTB ST style generator.. Edit- Found one.
« on: August 31, 2022, 12:07:03 AM »
Hi,  central GA generator has been out of stock on the chinese ST style 1800 rpm heads for a few month's. Looking for pretty much any size between 5k to maybe up to 15k watts.  Any of you guy's have one you are looking to sell. Will take pretty much any condition except for a bad rotor.. Yes I am getting desperate. Have lot's of small engines generators, parts etc, for a possible partail trade plus cash. Or will just buy outright.  Somebody has to have an extra one laying around that they may never use. Please pm me if you are that guy or gal.. Thank's
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 07:12:20 PM by keith71 »
12/2 Field Marshall
Jiangdong R170.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: WTB ST style generator
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 01:08:47 AM »
Hi Keith71, it would help to know which country you are in.

Bob

keith71

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 01:37:24 AM »
Yes forgot to mention I am in the U.S.  Thanks.
12/2 Field Marshall
Jiangdong R170.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 08:43:34 AM »
Hi Keith71, I know where to get them here in Australia. In the USA I would be contacting Dieselgman or 38ac, they maybe able to point you in the right direction.
Good hunting,
Bob

keith71

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 02:58:01 PM »
Yes somebody else recomended dieselgman.. I am going to contact him. Thank you.
12/2 Field Marshall
Jiangdong R170.

keith71

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 07:11:09 PM »
Found one.. Wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.. Thanks.
12/2 Field Marshall
Jiangdong R170.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
Re: WTB ST style generator.. Edit- Found one.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 09:40:14 PM »
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2022, 11:34:04 PM »
Hi Keith71, well done on getting an ST head. Once you have taken delivery, you need to check it out completely. The wiring in the dogbox on top is usually very poor, the little bridge rectifier will probably be rubbish. I replaced the rectifier with a decent unit bolted to a heatsink to keep it cool. Later, I fitted an AVR.
Check out the two bearings, these are often unsealed cheap Chinese sh1t lubricated with yak fat.
Check the slip rings, these are fixed to the shaft with an adhesive and are often not concentric with the shaft. I hade to put mine in a lathe and skim them to get them true.
The brush holders are nothing to write home about but they do work. The brushes are very soft and brittle I recommend you get some spares if you need reliability.

Bob

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2022, 07:41:35 PM »
Hi Keith71, well done on getting an ST head. Once you have taken delivery, you need to check it out completely. The wiring in the dogbox on top is usually very poor, the little bridge rectifier will probably be rubbish. I replaced the rectifier with a decent unit bolted to a heatsink to keep it cool. Later, I fitted an AVR.
Check out the two bearings, these are often unsealed cheap Chinese sh1t lubricated with yak fat.
Check the slip rings, these are fixed to the shaft with an adhesive and are often not concentric with the shaft. I hade to put mine in a lathe and skim them to get them true.
The brush holders are nothing to write home about but they do work. The brushes are very soft and brittle I recommend you get some spares if you need reliability.

Bob
[/quote

+1 on everything Bob says here

My Chinese ST - the bearings were horrible & grumbly even from new.  I just replaced them with sealed SKF ones.  At one end of the shaft the bearing journal was only about 80% of the shaft as it had been badly made - nothing to be done about that

One of my brushes snapped in half just disassembling them.  I had some brushes made locally - the guy that makes them says the Chinese brushes are just sort of pressed material and won't last

And, yes, the doghouse wiring was awful.  One of the "live" wires that goes to the voltmeter was jammed under the body of the doghouse and grounded . . . .

Just give it a good, common-sense check-over

Mine works fine, generates voltage OK.  Not particularly noisy.  But I wouldn't regard it as my primary depend-on-it day-to-dat generator

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2022, 08:22:53 AM »
Hi Guys, just one further thing to check. The wires that run between the armature and the slip rings on my ST were loosely wrapped with a piece of old rag, allowing them to move about. Only a matter of time till they would have shorted out against the shaft! I couldn`t find a supplier of old fashioned cloth insulation tape so I used Micropore surgical tape to hold everything in place. I then gave it several coats of  polyurethane varnish, should outlast me.

Bob