Puppeteer

Author Topic: I have just acquired a CS8 with original alternator.....  (Read 1266 times)

Owenga

• View Profile
I have just acquired a CS8 with original alternator.....
« on: August 27, 2022, 03:52:34 AM »
It apparently was still working about 2 years ago.. I’m hoping to service it and check everything over then fire it up, it did have a the lash cap for the inlet valve in the tapped cover. I have refitted it...

Question.. it was startomatic but there is no control box, apparently they just hooked up phase and neutral  and ran power straight into the house, but the voltage did fluctuate..
If I run this do I need some more components.... ?

Cheers Owenga...

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: I have just acquired a CS8 with original alternator.....
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 09:02:18 AM »
Good Day Owenga, Congratulations on your recent acquisition. The Lister CS8/1 is basically the same engine as the CS6/1 except that it has an aluminium piston, rather than a cast iron piston. This allows the engine to rev higher producing 2 horse power more. A Lister CS6/1 SOM maxes out at about 3KVA so I am guessing an 8/1 would probably have an output of near 4KVA.
The generator heads on SOMs are rather unusual in that they are both an AC generator and a DC starter motor/dynamo. Without the control panel it will be very difficult and expensive to get it to automatically start. That said it should be relatively easy to hook up a battery and switch to start it, without having to hand crank it. You will need to disconnect the  solenoid that operates the decompression lever and operate the lever manually.
If I were installing this I would certainly be installing a circuit breaker between the generator and the house, I would also be driving an earth stake into the ground near the generator to ensuring that the entire system is grounded.
You say that the voltage fluctuates, is this just the flicker that is common with single cylinder generators or is it more than that? These old generators used Selenium rectifiers which have a life expectancy of about 50 years. After that they start to fail and the voltage regulation deteriorates. A telltale sign is a smell like garlic, this is very toxic don`t breath it in! I would strongly recommend replacing the old Selenium rectifier with a modern Silicon bridge rectifier.
A couple of photos would help us guys on the LEF to give you better advice.
Good luck

Bob

Owenga

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 12:59:00 AM »
Hi Bob ..
Thanks for the advice.. I have done a rectifier upgrade on a friends Lister so can easily do this one, I’ll have more time to work on it soon .. I’m trying to upload photos but I can’t work out how to convert them to an acceptable format from my iPad..

Thanks Daryl..

Owenga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 12:33:19 AM »
Hi..
I have had some time recently to work on the CS8 and while setting up the govenor linkages I discovered that the fuel rail binds up due to worn bore, this will certainly disrupt the govenor and effect the output voltage accordingly.. I plan to buy a replacement complete pump they are not expensive, that should stabilise the RPM and therefore the voltage..
Old timer engines have a CAV pump for a good price..

Cheers Owenga

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 07:11:41 AM »
Hi Daryl, a worn rack on a fuel injector pump will certainly affect the effectiveness of the governor. Definitely better to go for a CAV pump rather than the modern Mico Bosch equivalent, the modern one does not have a hole in both ends of the rack, so you can not fit the starting pawl, so they can be hard to start. Rob at Old Timer Engines will sort you out. You will need to check the spill timing once you have fitted your replacement pump.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Bob