Puppeteer

Author Topic: Quick question  (Read 862 times)

bradleyl

• View Profile
Quick question
« on: August 10, 2022, 03:09:29 PM »
I am new to the forum and new to Lister Petter engines.
A few years ago I bought a big incinerator (5'Wx5'Hx10'L) double walled stainless. I bought it for the tank, and it came with a diesel motor and giant fan. The tank was still brand new and I am sure it had never had a fire in it or been used. It was from gov't and I believe it was there to clean up after a disaster and it was luckily never needed.
I used the stainless tank and then had the giant fan and diesel kicking around. After a year or two, I decided to see if the engine ran or had problems from sitting so long. I stuck the fuel line in a can of diesel, threw a battery in it, and it fired right up and purred like a kitten!
I have no use for the diesel engine or the giant fan or platform they are both attached to.
My question is, any idea what just the motor is worth or if anyone would possibly have a use for the whole assembly? I thought of farmers in case there was a power outage to get some air moving in a hot barn, but have mentioned it to many farmers and zero interest.
It is a Lister Petter HR2A, meaning air cooled 2 cylinder and the A means counter clockwise rotation, correct? It has a manual throttle handle so you can adjust the revs.
Thanks in advance. Will post a few pics in a few mins.

bradleyl

• View Profile
Re: Quick question
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 03:20:17 PM »
A few pics

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 07:23:39 AM »
Nice little and very reliable engine. As for value it is an age old question which for me comes down to supply and demand. Have a look at the usual auction sites in your Country to see how many are for sale and how long they have been listed and what they sell for as well.
I cant put a price on it at all as I have not looked for one but sometimes when I have an item I want gone if I get my money back for it then good, if not how much am I prepared to loose on it if anything and hold onto it until the price rises. The good thing for you is that you have confirmed that it starts and runs so that is a huge benefit to buyers. As a suggestion do a YouTube clip of a start up and run which will confirm what you say in your advertisement. It presents well so anyone with a footpath roller, boat and then marinise it, or depending on what RPM it is governed at a good standby engine for a genset.
Wish you well selling it.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

bradleyl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2022, 12:42:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I am in Ontario Canada and can't find much of anything for sale or sold here. I have no idea if it's worth $500 or $2500, but I am guessing closer to the $500. I was going to keep it for some sort of project, but recently moved to a small lot on the lake with a single car garage and just have too much stuff.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 11:57:00 PM »
Very nice reliable engine. Shame you don`t have the space to keep it and convert it to a backup generator, should easily run a 7KVA gen head.
I think I would advertise it for sale for $1000 and be willing to take offers, if you are lucky you might find yourself with two bidders and get a bit more.

Good luck
Bob

bradleyl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2022, 04:47:20 PM »
Thanks Bob.
I looked for a while for a big generator that had motor problems but didn't have much luck.
I have a big solar array and all the necessary equipment non grid tied system for backup power or I would definitely be figuring out a generator with it.
$1000 sounds like a great place to start. I didn't want to sell it for 500 if worth 2500 or ask 2500 if only worth 500. $1000 would make me happy.