Author Topic: Resurrection of a Deutz MAH 914, 1952? Lets see!  (Read 22661 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Resurrection of a Deutz MAH 914, 1952? Lets see!
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2022, 09:12:00 AM »
Hi Guys, a long time since I heard anyone mention TVO! Tractor venting oil was common during the second world war due to the shortage of petrol. Farmers bought tractors that could be started on petrol and then switched over to TVO once running, TVO was very similar to kerosene. I remember driving one of these tractors when I was a boy. I wasn`t aware that the timing marks were different but it does kind of make sense if the camshaft for the diesel and petrol/TVO engines have the same lift and open/close slope, the only difference would be the timing. I live and learn :)
VP you don`t show pictures of the camshaft/crankshaft gears. Are you able to put a witness mark on them or are they too deep in the engine? If they are too deep, clean them and then mark them with a permanent marker, dismantle and then immediately put the permanent witness marks in place.
Straightening the bent pushrod may be more difficult if they are as thin/flexible as you say. Both ends will have a hardened insert, if you can remove one of these you can fill the tube with something to stop it creasing as you try to straighten it. You could try very fine sand compacted or try to find a piece of nylon rod that would slide in. In the UK Air Force I had to make a lot of very complex bent pipes for aircraft. We had a product made by Monel, it was a metal that melted below the boiling point of water. Melt the Monel and pour it into your pipe, let it cool and bend it to whatever shape you want, warm it up and the Monel would flow out. Had a lot of fun making teaspoons that melted when you used them! :laugh:
Failing that measure the length of the pushrod then dismantle it, find some suitable new steel tube, cut to length and press the tips into each end.
Good luck,
Bob

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2022, 03:38:44 PM »
i can't tell you how many bent pushrods i and others i have worked with were straightened with a ball peen hammer using the concrete floor as an anvil.  were the perfectly straight afterwards? no... but they really don't need to be perfect to work just fine.

a reasonably straight pushrod will take hundreds of pounds of straight line force without bending. maybe even thousands of pounds.

just take a hammer and tap on it, roll to find the high spot, hammer a bit more, roll and repeat until it rolls fairly well, and it will work like a new one.

only pushrods we ever rejected were cummins pushrods which were/are hollow, all of which would be dropped on the floor and if they rang out like a chime they were good to go, if they had a muffled sound, they were full of oil and we would replace those.

bob g

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2022, 07:49:11 PM »
OK.  Memory lane here

I grew up driving old British machinery made in the '40s & '50s - and your pushrod stories remind me . . . .

Some of those Luton-built Vauxhall/Bedford engines were designed to have the valve clearances set when they were hot and running.  They were screw-and-locknut rockers.  IIRC there were .007 and .013 valve clearances and Vauxhall/Bedford supplied feeler gauge strips in these two sizes in the form of flexible metal strips maybe a half-inch in width and a couple of feet in length.

The process wasn't complex as there were no "find TDC" issues with the engine running.  You simply loosened off the locknut and screw a tad and inserted the end of the feeler strip.  As the pushrod moved it would pinch-and-release-pinch, obviously.  As you adjusted the screw, you could feel - by pulling the strip back and forwards a bit - when the "pinch" was just right.  Tighten the locknut at that and move onto the next . . . .

As you might imagine, a certain technique was required - but not as difficult as it sounds.

However, three hands were needed:  One to hold the spanner on the locknut.  One to hold the screwdriver that wanted to keep bouncing off the top of the adjuster screw.  One to hold the feeler gauge strip.  Bear in mind, also, the engine is running sans rocker cover that this point - albeit at a slow idle - so there's black oil everywhere.

The approved technique is:  One hand on the screwdriver.  one hand on the spanner.  Hold the feeler strip between the teeth (also had the benenfit of giving you a good, close, look at what you were doing) and move the head back and forwards a little to "feel the pinch".

When the end of the feeler gauge strip got a bit too battered - just nip it off and move on

Stories of glasses spattered with engine oil are legion.  Better, though, is the description of the oil as it migrated up the feeler gauge strip (oil was thin, black shit in those days), how it tasted, and the stains it left in one's beard as it dripped off the edges of the bottom lip . . . .

Those were the days . . .

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
Resurrection of a Deutz MAH 914, 1952? More bits apart!
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2022, 11:10:51 PM »
Gentles

Thanks for your patience and kindeness to follow the Deutz lunatic ( ;D ;D ;D);

Still stuck in rust - but things are going slowly and nice.

Today here is a holyday, and so the Mighty gave some help, I think.

Injector is apart; Prechamber is out and rocker assembly also stripped.

A few pics for the show:

1 - Injector apart;
2 - Prechamber going down;
3 - Prechamber out;
4 - rocker rust falling apart;
5 - rocker giving fight;
6 - And more fight;

By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

sirpedrosa

• View Profile
Resurrection of a Deutz MAH 914, 1952? More bits apart!
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2022, 11:15:24 PM »
A few more pics:

1 - rocker assembly full apart;

2 - A tool?

A candy to whom tell if pic 2 is a tool.

Cheers
VP
By order of firing up:

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2022, 11:26:26 PM »
i can remember a 55 chevy that used to race on the streets around here back in the early 70's
it had a 327 small block with solid lifter cam, and the owner used an old table knife as the feeler gauge
to set the valve lash with while running

and yes there was oil everywhere!

of course we also set points with a match book cover, which was close enough for the girls we ran with.

ah yes, the good ol' days

bob g

sirpedrosa

• View Profile
Resurrection of a Deutz MAH 914, 1952? Found timing!
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2022, 02:17:57 AM »
Gentles

Thanks again for all your support.

Special thanks to Guillermo Riesz [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpWo21SrBRlHdMPFVnsv-DQ/videos], for the support of the user manual - fortantly it has the timing method.

A small help is better than none!

Cheers
VP
By order of firing up:

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2022, 07:21:28 AM »
Hi VP, I think the steel wool may have been an air filter not a tool.

For many years we set spark plug gaps to a hacksaw blade an points by the look of the gap. The kitchen knofe must have been one of the older types with the thin carbon steel blade not the thick stainless steel blades.
I have a couple of the old high carbon steel blades that actually were a butter knife but I run them on the oil stone and they make the best sharp knives in the kitchen and hold the edge very well. So if you see some in an Op Shop grab them and try it.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

sirpedrosa

• View Profile
Resurrection of a Deutz MAH 914, 1952? Steel straw
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2022, 08:15:50 AM »
Cobba, Gentles

Steel wool is smother than this steel staw.

This was a round of steel straw and its used  - or was mainly used - to scratch wood floors is order to give it after a coat of wax.

This one was used to scracth the rust arround the rockers shaft.

And yes, can be used also as air filter.

Cheers
VP
By order of firing up:

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2022, 08:33:19 AM »
Hi VP, God loves a tryer, about time he joined in with all the hard work you are doing. :)
It`s all looking good, how is the rocker assembly lubricated? I`m guessing it`s done manually with an oil can and hasn`t been done for a long time. I hope the shaft and bushes clean up ok. If the bushes need replacing I recommend using Oilite bushes which will require much less regular lubrication.
The construction team are starting work on my new shed tomorrow, happy days!
Bob

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2022, 12:21:32 PM »
We have a product here that looks the same but is made of stainless steel and is called a scourer. Mainlu used in washing up. They look like a neat ball from new but then flatten out and eventually will look like yours. I have heard of timber floor treatment being done that way but never seen it.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2022, 02:53:35 PM »
nope it was a standard old thick blade butter knife that he used, iirc he said it was about .019"
which was close to what the cam grinder called for back then.

oh yes, the thing clattered like hell as i recall, but it ran like an ape with his tail on fire.

bob g

sirpedrosa

• View Profile
Resurrection of a Deutz MAH 914, 1952? Odds & Ends
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2022, 08:39:29 PM »
Gentles,

Bob: All system in head is hugely rusted and scalling. Lub made by oiling the hollow shaft manualy; bushes are new conditon. Hope you too soon start doing your stuf. Good luck.

Cobba: Yes a ball of stainless for pans here too, and is too soft for the job (but I have it on shelf for clean inside valve guides and so on. Timber on sail boats use the straw to put new coat of marine varnish.

Bob G: I hope this german rusty iron will still be able to pull a 55 chevy, or at least have fun running it.

Now the improvements:Injector spring is out. No doubt this guy swallowed water.

A pic to joy.

Cheers
VP
By order of firing up:

sirpedrosa

• View Profile
Resurrection of a Deutz MAH 914, 1952? INJECTOR PIECE BY PIECE
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2022, 12:38:00 AM »
Gentles

This reply is special, because it is unique in the web with Deutz MAH 914 injector piece by piece.

1 - Injector index;
2 - Other view;
3 - Nozzle extration;
4 - Nozzle out and tools to the job (alu shims, brass nut, steel pin);
5 - Extract nozzle body from valve (soda can as tool too);
6 - Nozzle apart;
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 12:53:22 AM by sirpedrosa »
By order of firing up:

sirpedrosa

• View Profile
Resurrection of a Deutz MAH 914, 1952? NOZZLE INDEX
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2022, 12:44:31 AM »
It has a BOSCH DN 12 SD 221 nozzle;

And this is the first pics or images of this injector stripped at web, and now available for everyone.

Now I just need someone tell me the work pressure in order to set it right.

Cheers
VP
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 06:08:04 PM by sirpedrosa »
By order of firing up: