Puppeteer

Author Topic: STW2 Starter Motor  (Read 1208 times)

Phaeton

• View Profile
STW2 Starter Motor
« on: June 19, 2022, 01:41:29 PM »
Bought a Lister STW2 to possibly replace the one in my nephews narrowboat, unfortunately the seller didn't mention it would come without a starter motor, it would have but he lost it. Anyway the serial number is 178STW2MGR am I correct in assuming this engine will rotate clockwise looking from the flywheel end & it's standard & not a anti-clockwise engine?

I'm using the logic there is no A in the serial number, I've also manually rotated it over & I 'think' the valve sequence is correct going this way, is there any other information, images I can provide to make sure I'm correct?

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: STW2 Starter Motor
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 12:27:22 PM »
I agree if there is no "A or CCW" in the number then it is CW direction.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 03:12:43 AM »
It has to be clockwise rotation when looking at the flywheel as Lister never made an anti clockwise STW. If I recall correctly the starter should be the same as for a clockwise rotation ST engine.)

Phaeton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 02:57:50 PM »
Apologies gents, I didn't see your responses I've just found the emails in Spam whilst looking for something else, I've now whitelisted the email address.

I have now found out that you were both correct, it is a CW from the flywheel end as I've had it running using a starting handle, it sounds quite sweet, so pretty happy (currently) with the purchase.

But I an still a little confused as to which starter motor I need, as the flywheel runs clockwise from the flywheel end, then I would need a starter motor that spins ACW when viewed from the flywheel, BUT I suspect that when a supplier quotes CW they mean when viewed from the front of the engine, which is the correct way, or am I losing my marbles?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393889850413

I 'think' this is the one I want, but I'm not 100% sure, as to whether I need a spacer is another matter.

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 02:47:45 AM »
Looking at the link that starter is of no use. It says it is a clockwise starter for an anti clockwise engine. Your engine is clockwise rotation. You are looking for starter, Lister pt no 204-13273 or equivalent. As you say a spacer is also needed and the Lister pt no for that is 202-26550. Hope that is some help for you.

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 04:09:57 AM »
As a follow on from previous post. You could also look for Lister pt no 366-08053. It should be the same starter just going by a different no. Lister quite often changed pt nos over the years.

Phaeton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 07:12:41 AM »
Looking at the link that starter is of no use. It says it is a clockwise starter for an anti clockwise engine. Your engine is clockwise rotation. You are looking for starter, Lister pt no 204-13273 or equivalent. As you say a spacer is also needed and the Lister pt no for that is 202-26550. Hope that is some help for you.

Thank you very much