How to / DIY > Everything else

Greetings from Tasmania

(1/7) > >>

ajaffa1:
Hi Guys, it`s been a while. I`ve been a bit busy since we got burned out in the 2019 bush fires. I spent 12 months fixing chainsaws, water pumps, generators and any other piece of equipment needed by the local community to help with the recovery, all for free. I got an award from the New South Wales government for my efforts, shame they didn`t invite me to the awards ceremony. I guess they thought I was a loose canon after I got in the Governor Generals face twelve months earlier. I got my award several months later after they mailed it to a place I was no longer living in. Shameless b*stards the lot of them! Pleased to say that most of them lost their jobs in the recent elections. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Two years ago we bought a 3 bedroom property in Tasmania, if I climb on the roof I can see the sea. Sadly, having got ourselves somewhere to live, Covid struck. My Wife eventually (6 months later) got permission to travel to our new home. I had to wait a further 18 months before I was allowed to travel. Two years living in a caravan changes ones perspective enormously, I now realise how lucky I am to have lost all the sh1t that I had accumulated over the previous 60+ years. Most of it I didn`t need or want, I was just storing it because I couldn`t part with it.

So, what does the future hold? Our new home is beautiful and has a double garage but no man space! I have put in an application, to the local council, to build an 13m x 12m shed. We recently got approval for the shed and are now progressing the final designs and hope to start construction in the next few months. I would like to share the shed design/construction and fit out with the LEF. I will do my best to share photos of the build along with costs and pitfalls. I hope this will be helpful to others planning to do something similar

Thank you all for the support you have given my Wife and me over the last few years.
Bob

broncodriver99:
Welcome back Bob! Good to hear things are looking up. Looking forward to seeing your shed build and what the next chapter holds for you guys.

I completely understand what you mean about storing things just because you won't let them go. I recently came to that conclusion myself and am starting the process of getting rid of some stuff,  much of it needs to go. It really is amazing how much it weighs on one to have tons of stuff accumulated that serves little or no purpose.

Best of luck!

mikenash:

--- Quote from: ajaffa1 on June 01, 2022, 11:20:40 AM ---Hi Guys, it`s been a while. I`ve been a bit busy since we got burned out in the 2019 bush fires. I spent 12 months fixing chainsaws, water pumps, generators and any other piece of equipment needed by the local community to help with the recovery, all for free. I got an award from the New South Wales government for my efforts, shame they didn`t invite me to the awards ceremony. I guess they thought I was a loose canon after I got in the Governor Generals face twelve months earlier. I got my award several months later after they mailed it to a place I was no longer living in. Shameless b*stards the lot of them! Pleased to say that most of them lost their jobs in the recent elections. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Two years ago we bought a 3 bedroom property in Tasmania, if I climb on the roof I can see the sea. Sadly, having got ourselves somewhere to live, Covid struck. My Wife eventually (6 months later) got permission to travel to our new home. I had to wait a further 18 months before I was allowed to travel. Two years living in a caravan changes ones perspective enormously, I now realise how lucky I am to have lost all the sh1t that I had accumulated over the previous 60+ years. Most of it I didn`t need or want, I was just storing it because I couldn`t part with it.

So, what does the future hold? Our new home is beautiful and has a double garage but no man space! I have put in an application, to the local council, to build an 13m x 12m shed. We recently got approval for the shed and are now progressing the final designs and hope to start construction in the next few months. I would like to share the shed design/construction and fit out with the LEF. I will do my best to share photos of the build along with costs and pitfalls. I hope this will be helpful to others planning to do something similar

Thank you all for the support you have given my Wife and me over the last few years.
Bob

--- End quote ---

Good on you, Bob

I had a forced down-size recently - having to very sudddenly leave the Valley where I had lived for over 40 years

Man, did I throw out some stuff.  Got the biggest skip-bin they would deliver parked in the drive, and took a ruthless approach . . .

The more stuff I lost - the free-er I felt tbh

I need to spend a couple of years living where I am now - a very small place, but an ideal situation - before retiring and moving to my country block

To be honest, it has been good for me to get rid of a lot of stuff i think i was just keeping because it "might come in handy one day"

Good luck for the next phase of your life - a new adventure!

dieselspanner:
Hi Bob

Welcome back from me as well.

Don't worry about the new medal, they're a thing of the past at out age. honest!!

Looking forward to the shed rep.....

Cheers
Stef

ajaffa1:
Hi Guys, thanks for the support.
I paid the local council $400 for the building permit this morning, this allows me to order the steel structure, roof and cladding which should take a couple of months to be delivered. The price for this will be around $27,000. While this is being manufactured we will have to pour the concrete for it to stand on, this should cost around $20,000. On top of this there is the cost for the shed erectors and two new 25,000 litre water tanks. All done I am looking at between 60 and 70 thousand Australian dollars. I wish I could give you more precise figures but in Australia each local council has it`s own way of doing things.

Where I lived before the council would inspect shed construction and sign off that it met the required code at a cost of around $400. Here in Tasmania we have to pay the council $400 and then employ our own inspector at a cost of around $1500, any problems and guess what it costs a lot more! I don`t know what problems we will face but I will keep you updated.

Bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version