Puppeteer

Author Topic: Wet or dry sleeve in the Changchai 295D ?  (Read 1600 times)

sailerg

• View Profile
Wet or dry sleeve in the Changchai 295D ?
« on: May 23, 2022, 04:21:25 AM »
Hello all

I have an almost new, old 15kw Changchai 295D generator.  It was first bought for Y2K and never used.  The second owner bought it shortly after the year 2000 and never used it.  I bought it a couple years ago and it has been a champ as a standby generator when there was too much cloud cover.  I usually cover the exhaust when gone.  But some how last fall I forgot to cover it and was gone the winter and this spring when I went to start it the crankcase was full of antifreeze.  Not good!  I puled off the head, and the number on cylinder has a 3 inch plus vertical crack.  Big bummer!  Does anyone know if this is a dry or wet sleeve?  If wet, I guess it is worth getting a new sleeve.  But if dry, the inner block casting is also probably cracked and year, it could be welded, but I would probably not do it.  I had a 290T China Diesel since 1992 that ran a long time and then replaced it with this.  The governor ran stable and voltage was steadier than the Newage gen head on the other.  This unit is an italian gen head.   OK.  I hope someone can tell me if this can be sleeved or not.  Thanks

dkmc

• View Profile
Re: Wet or dry sleeve in the Changchai 295D ?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 04:31:08 AM »

Puzzling, it had antifreeze in it but froze anyway?

Machinist, fabricator, designer, fixer

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 11:56:41 AM »
Sorry I am unable to tell you if it is a sleeved engine or not so unless you have a workshop manual or parts book you will have to strip it down to find out. Maybe you can contact a parts dealer and ask to buy a sleeve for it and that will also give you an answer.
As for your anti-freeze freezing and cracking the sleeve/block I think there is something very wrong with the enti-freeze mix or it was not as claimed. Here in our climate we occassionally ned anti-freeze in certain areas during Winter but we have to be carefull when buying products for our cooling systems as not every thing is anti-freeze but is just a inhibitor more so for corrosion control than stopping the engine getting froze to death. If it is a sleeved engine hopefully it is just the slleeve and not the block. If the block is cracked then yes it is possible to repair it by veeing out the crack and making many passes with quality cast iron rods because in this case brazing it will not hold. This will take a lot of time and hours of manual labour and talent to do the weld properly. So would consider another engine replacement.
Question. If the engine is not under cover and out in the open why don't you run and exhaust that does not face upwards? Or why not build a roof over the engine?
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

sailerg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 05:01:29 PM »

Puzzling, it had antifreeze in it but froze anyway?

Sorry I was not more clear when I said I forgot to cover the exhaust.  Water got in from rain, and then during the winter there were cold snaps to below zero F.  Water got in the number one cylinder through the open exhaust valve.  Boom.  Cracked cylinder and all the antifreeze is down in the crank case.

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 05:30:21 PM »
Oh right, rain got in. Reading late on my phone. Sorry to hear that happened.
Machinist, fabricator, designer, fixer

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2022, 12:03:13 PM »
OOPS, not a good feeling. I would keep stripping it don during the day and searching for parts or replacement engine of a night. By knowing what is available and what cost is involved then an informaed decision can be made. Any luck contatcting a parts supplier?

sailerg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 03:21:18 PM »
There is a parts supplier in Florida.  I have read some stories that this particular engine is not a good one and will not last long like others.  I was not sure I wanted to invest anymore in it, or sell for parts.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2022, 12:05:44 PM »
Fair enough. Sometimes there is a limit to how much to spend on anything. So what do you look at to buy? Another one the same or a proper Lister which maybe old but they do last if they were taken care of. I have a late 1950's CD 8hp that is as strong as the day it was made.

sailerg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2022, 06:02:52 PM »
After getting this sort of new old generator, I rebuilt the China Diesel I bought in 1992.  I thought I had a spare generator after the rebuild!  So, I will put it back in service.  I wish back in those days I had bought a Lister.  I did not know much about them.  I guess I will just wrap this up and maybe in the future I will be motivated from boredom to tear in to it.  Thanks

KC7NOA

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2022, 09:23:56 AM »
Where are you located?

I think im talking with you -- I'm in South PriestRiver Idaho

Does anyone know what kind of mounting of the Generator head to Motor is used? is it compatible with a Lister SR2 motor?