Author Topic: HR3 engine problems  (Read 3886 times)

Bfinney87

• View Profile
Re: HR3 engine problems
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2022, 05:17:20 PM »
Think I might hook a 12v electric fuel pump too it. To see if it will run. Try and isolate the problem. Figure out if it is the pumps or the supply to the pumps.

Bfinney87

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2022, 09:05:28 PM »
With the lift pump unhooked I installed a hose on the discharge side of the lift pump side and poured diesel into the hose. Tried cranking it over and I’m getting pressure out of the hose. It’s blowing out of the hose.

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2022, 03:09:44 AM »
The rack, or if you like the linkages between the pumps should basically have no stiffness at all. With the engine at rest you should be able to move the rack easily with minimum pressure from one finger. Any stiffness or sticky spots will give you problems.

Bfinney87

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2022, 12:50:25 PM »
Okay thanks. I ended up taking the 2 pumps I have messed with apart again. And noticed that I didn’t Put the part below the delivery valve in correctly. The flat head screw on the back wasn’t in the hole on both pumps. I put those back together correctly. One of the pumps is leaking diesel on the rack it sprays out when I’m priming it. Is that a gasket or do I need another pump. I’m slowly learning this engine very slowly.. thanks for all the help guys much appreciated.

Bfinney87

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2022, 01:00:06 AM »
Hey guys what would cause one of my fuel pumps to leak out of here? Where the tip of the pen is.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2022, 12:11:10 PM »
I am not sure but I think that that area is sealed by the close interferrance fit of a precision ground shaft in a bore. I think from memory that you have a manual on these pumps. That should tell you if there is a seal in that area, if not the shaft at least is badly worn or the bore it runs in or both.
I thought after you rebuilt the pumps you tested them to see if they worked by connecting the fuel line at least to them and see the fuel dribble out the top of the fuel line. I went one step further and connected the injector to the lines and watched the fuel atomise. If all you did was run fuel to the pumps and fuel came out it was just gravity flowing the fuel.
Might be worth replacing that pump or talking to a diesel repair shop to see what if anything can be done with that one. Is the other pump working properly after testing with a fuel line and injector hooked up so you can see it work?
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

Bfinney87

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2022, 12:57:09 PM »
I did test them and all was working fine. But I went ahead and broke it down when I couldn’t figure out what was going wrong. That’s when I noticed that the set screw in the back wasn’t in the chamber. Both weren’t. They weren’t leaking at the time. But when I took it apart and put it back together that’s when it started. I actually think that was my problem the whole time. I haven’t been able to test it out yet it’s been raining here. The manuals suck on those pumps it doesn’t go into depth on how to rebuild them at all. It’s been mostly trial and error. It tells how to time the pump but when it comes to disassembly there wasn’t much to go on.

Bfinney87

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2022, 01:02:20 PM »
Yeah they are working. Just that one is leaking. It has all new guts in it. I checked it with the injector hooked up. Upside down and it was spraying. One of the pumps I need to get a new spray nozzle for the injector it doesn’t pop like it should. It just sprays. I switched the injectors around to make sure it was the injector nozzle and it was. I’m going to clean it good and put it back together again. If I can’t get it to stop I guess il have to order a injector. I hope I don’t have to go that route. Right now I have two good pumps and one that is working but leaking out the rack. And one bad injector nozzle

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2022, 02:42:12 PM »
Here is a breakdown of your pump it might be some help   

https://www.stationaryengineparts.com/cav-bpf-series-identification/       

Bfinney87

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2022, 04:40:18 PM »
Thanks! That is handy. I will save that schematic.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2022, 12:33:53 PM »
I can only hope that you have a injector  bench testing gauge. This tests the injector at the nominated pressure before it cracks open. With out one you are making a lot of work for yourself. They maybe simple to strip down and assemble but they must be set correctly for your engine.
I sugest that you take b oth injectors to someone who has this equipment and get them set corectly. To me it is important they are both the same and working correctly.

Bfinney87

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2022, 06:58:20 PM »
No I don’t depending on the cost of them setting the pressure or buying a tester I haven’t checked the injectors and have replaced one of the nozzles already. They aren’t too expensive I can get a pop tester for $100 on the internet. And I will probably go ahead and buy one. Most of my equipment is diesel anyway.  If I get the leak stopped I will go from there. Hopefully this evening I can work on the pump some more. The motor has been setting probably 20 years who knows how long it was tore apart it was in a barn dismantled I paid $100 for it and it was all gummed up from setting which doesn’t help. but the engine is simple enough I will get it going. The pumps have been the biggest learning curve of it all they are a pain for someone that has never heard of a lister before  But I believe I have them figured out now. Just need another good day of messing with it.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2022, 12:03:53 PM »
Yes, you certainly will get it running again. By that added bit of information, that it sat around and is/was gummed up, should direct you to the problem and to me since your pumps are done or almost done apart from a leak, the obvious place to me is in the injector itself. Only a total strip down and clean then assembly and setting it to the correct pressure will we all know whats going on. But you have worked your way through everything else so you must be close by now.

Bfinney87

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2022, 06:20:49 PM »
Well I have given up on that fuel pump leak. I have taken it apart at least 20 times. Soaked it in chemtool to try and get all the carbon out. Switched around different plungers and pieces and nothing has worked. Guess I’ll order another pump..

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2022, 09:37:33 AM »
Hi Bfinney87, the only reason that fuel will spill out of the bottom of an injector pump is that there is excessive wear in the injector element.
The element is the tiny little piston pump inside. These are so finely ground that they withstand pressures of 2000 ponds per square inch without leaking. Any ingress of water or dirt will very quickly degrade them to the point where they leak out of the bottom and won`t provide sufficient pressure to pump fuel through the injector. The telltale for a worn injector pump is that the oil level in the sump starts to rise.
Replacement elements are available, they are a lot cheaper than entire fuel pumps and can be fitted yourself provided you are a competent mechanic and are religious about cleanliness while you are doing the work. If in doubt take it to your local diesel engineer and have him do the work.
If one pump has failed the chances are the the others have also been exposed to dirt or water, flush them thoroughly to ensure they don`t suffer the same fate. Flush your fuel system, fuel lines and replace the fuel filters.

Best of luck, Bob