Author Topic: HR3 engine problems  (Read 3895 times)

Bfinney87

• View Profile
HR3 engine problems
« on: May 20, 2022, 01:22:05 AM »
Well guys I’m needing some help I have a 3 cylinder hr3 that will run when the motor is cold and then die when it warms up. Wait about a minute and it will start run for a few seconds then die. I would understand if one or two cylinders not running if it was a single fuel pump but that isn’t the case. The fuel pump is new and I took it apart to check if there is a clog but it’s clean and pumps good. I’m at a loss here. What else would cause it to act that way?

Bfinney87

• View Profile
Re: HR3 engine problems
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 01:24:11 AM »
The lift pump is new not fuel pumps

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 12:19:40 PM »
Go right back to basics. Is there rubbish inside the fuel tank, is the fuel tap clear and allow the fuel to flow free. Replace the fuel filter and check for free flowing fuel all the way to the pump. Make sure then that fuel pumps freely to the injectors rack and that fuel is making it to the injector. Finally make msure that all injectors are atomising the fuel.

After that check spill timing. Change air filter so that it can b reath as you need air to mix with atomised fuel to ignite. What is the compression like? This should keep you busy for a while. Don't rush over any stage of this as it only takes one thing to stop it. But it does sound like a fuel supply issue as it starts and runs for a short time but will restart and do the same.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

Bfinney87

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 12:46:30 PM »
Okay thanks. Yeah that’s what I will do. I

Bfinney87

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 02:19:47 PM »
The compression is pretty good. When I got it  I honed the cylinders and installed new rings. Then rebuilt 2 of the 3 fuel pumps. Gonna have to check the spill timing of the pumps I tried awhile back but It didn’t make a whole lot of sense too me. Couldn’t tell if it was timed or not.

Bfinney87

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 10:43:07 PM »
What does that little flat head piece that is in the fuel pump hooked up to the spring on the delivery valve do? It’s in the top of the fuel pump?

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 11:57:22 AM »
Wish I could answer your questions on that. Spill timing is something I have only heard and read about but never had to do it. Maybe do a search here as it has been explained in th epast in simple terms with good outcomes.
Never tried to understand the internals of an injector, just free them up to make them work, sorry.
Soon enough someone with a lot more knowledge than I have will offer help. So get stuck into the fuel delivery system while a proper answer can be supplied.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2022, 12:46:01 PM »
Don't know if you have a Hr3 manual but timing procedure is in section 3 page 37 of the manual. If you don't have one I can send you a P.D.F.

Bfinney87

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2022, 06:31:33 PM »
I have one. It’s on a pdf. I’ve going to try and check the timing today on it. If all of the pumps where off timing that would cause it. I never moved the shims on the pumps though. But when I got it most of the motor was in parts besides the pumps so there is a good possibility that they are out of time. It will start and run for a few seconds then die. I’ve replaced the sediment filter checked the lift pump but it is new. Checked the lines to the sediment bowl. And checked for leaks going to the lift pump. I am curious if the fuel leak off pipe on the injector going to the sediment bowl if it is supposed to have pressure on it? Cause it has pressure.

Bfinney87

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2022, 06:33:50 PM »
Checking the timing. Is there 3 Fuel pump marks for each fuel pump? The manual only talks about one.

Bfinney87

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2022, 12:30:38 AM »
Timing is good all the pumps seem to be in time.

Bfinney87

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2022, 02:03:24 AM »
Reading the manual. Think I might have found the issue. We will see guess they lift pump has adjustment. In the tappet. Gonna mess with it tomorrow see if that isn’t the issue.

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2022, 02:20:48 AM »
You might be on the right track with the lift pump. If this doesn't work check what happens with the pump linkages. The engine should start with full fuel and then move to minimum fuel position. if it moves back to full fuel as it dies you have a fuel supply problem. You will need to have the fuel pump doors off for this and probably somebody to start it while you are watching.

Bfinney87

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2022, 02:24:47 AM »
Okay I will check it out as well.

Bfinney87

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2022, 05:14:32 PM »
Well the lift pump was close. I adjusted it a little. But not much. On those linkages on the fuel pumps should I be able to move them easily when the motor is shut off?