Puppeteer

Author Topic: Top quality Listeroid exporter  (Read 3044 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Top quality Listeroid exporter
« on: March 31, 2022, 10:24:00 PM »
Yessiree I have finaly located that Listeroid "manufacturer" with good engines. Customer left one here to be checked over. Literature says ISO 9001 manufacturer of top quality agricultural equipment, quanteed no sand and correctly assembled.  ;D  ;D ;D
Check out the garbage in this twin block! last pic is a pile of sand and slag I removed in about 20 minutes with a needle scaler, about 100 times what it would take to ruin the engine. Plus the oil pump intake was completely covered by a slipped core and casting flash.  This engine would have been toast in 30 minutes or less. People often ask, is it realy necessary to take them all the way down?? You all be the judge.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 10:26:51 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Top quality Listeroid exporter
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 10:28:15 PM »
one pic at a time is all it lets me load, sorry

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 10:33:39 PM »
another one

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 10:35:20 PM »
This is about 2/3 of the sand and slag I removed, the rest is scattered on the floor.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 12:09:56 AM »
i wonder what "iso" means to some of these guys?

i think the "s" has something to do with "sand" and maybe the "9001" is the amount of sand included in grams?

so lets see if we can figure this out

the "I" in "iso" has to stand for "Included"
the "S" in "iso" has to stand for "Sand"
the "O" in "iso" maybe stand for "Only"
and the "9001" is the amount of sand in grams?

yeah that must be the ticket!

::)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2022, 12:44:34 AM »
Bob, If they keep sending this much sand here India will soon be below sea level!

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2022, 01:12:25 AM »
When I did my Ashwamegh 25/2 I did the same procedure and ended up with
about 1/2 cup of sand and slag......the noise and dirt......good times !

I brushed on a heavy coat of white Rustoleum and have been quite happy with
the results through the years.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 03:06:20 AM by 32 coupe »
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2022, 05:50:09 AM »
We had a pump impellor (Chinese casting) at work recently that we took out of service as - when we disassembled the pump to repair some unrelated damage - it was porous.  It had hundreds of small porosities in it; and I would guess it was coated and wiped with body-filler or some such before being painted, boxed, getting the "QC Passed" sticker on the outside, and exported

keith71

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2022, 03:03:52 AM »
Yessiree I have finaly located that Listeroid "manufacturer" with good engines. Customer left one here to be checked over. Literature says ISO 9001 manufacturer of top quality agricultural equipment, quanteed no sand and correctly assembled.  ;D  ;D ;D
Check out the garbage in this twin block! last pic is a pile of sand and slag I removed in about 20 minutes with a needle scaler, about 100 times what it would take to ruin the engine. Plus the oil pump intake was completely covered by a slipped core and casting flash.  This engine would have been toast in 30 minutes or less. People often ask, is it realy necessary to take them all the way down?? You all be the judge.

As far as I can tell not really a surprise or big deal anymore. Been this way since GeorgrB started importing them many years back. As the saying goes it is like putting steak sauce on dog shit. And they want top dollar here for these things lol.
                                                                                                                                                                                I am sure glad a few other fella's on another forum warned me about these roids being overly hyped up about nothing. And can do alot better with most of the newer 2-3 cylinder diesel engines out there, for cleaner,cheaper to run and maintain. Plus last more hours. jmo.                                                                                                                                     
 Happy I did not ending up shelling out $2500-$4000 for one brand new. Ya I can clean the sand and slag out of them easy enough. But if they are that careless when building them in India,  then there is probably even more wrong with them.
12/2 Field Marshall
Jiangdong R170.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2022, 12:29:11 PM »
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Happy I did not ending up shelling out $2500-$4000 for one brand new. Ya I can clean the sand and slag out of them easy enough. But if they are that careless when building them in India,  then there is probably even more wrong with them.

Back when they were importing a lot of them the quality was more than a little bit better and they cost $550, thus a person could invest some time and effort in one. These days a person can import a CS from England or find one for sale here for less money than a Listeroid. I imported 3 6/1 engines 2 years ago and they were all sold before they left port over there. You are correct that if one is simple enough to tear one down to remove the sand and slap it back together without correcting the other issues then he has wasted both his time and his money.  There seems to be a curiosity about them as people still buy them, some knowing the issues and sone not. This engine is the first recently imported one I have had through the shop in 6-8 years, all the others were either N.O.S or used.  They can be built into good engines, its just not justifiable financially these days.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 12:35:47 PM by 38ac »

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2022, 07:23:09 PM »
One word .....

U N B E L I E V A B L E !!!!!

How does an engine manufacturer train their employees to produce such a thing?
What baffles me further is that they actually give engineering students a tour of the factories.
As if to show them that "this is how it's done"  ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcxat-Z1CBI

You see here boys, this is where we use sand to break-in the engine prior to shipping
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KYGnEOFSu4

« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 07:26:17 PM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2022, 07:30:07 PM »

The first thing I examined when mine arrived was the con rod big end bearing.
Sure enough, a few grains of sand left from the factory "break-in" period.
It scored  grooves into the babbit and ruined it, fortunately the crank journal just needed a bit of polishing.

Later I checked every listeroid that I imported. All either had sand or excessive clearance.
I recommend everyone check the con rod bearing on a new engine.
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2022, 04:18:59 AM »

My Ashwamegh 6/1 had about a 1/4 cup of sand. So must be their standard recipe is 1/4 cup per cylinder.
Seems about right. WRONG.

When I did my Ashwamegh 25/2 I did the same procedure and ended up with
about 1/2 cup of sand and slag......the noise and dirt......good times !

I brushed on a heavy coat of white Rustoleum and have been quite happy with
the results through the years.
Machinist, fabricator, designer, fixer

Ted Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2022, 09:19:31 PM »
It's difficult to believe that nowadays something can still be so badly made, and unfit for purpose.

Looking at videos on YouTube, there looks to be thousands of Listeroids running daily in India, many look like they've been sat there for many years, happily running with no maintenance at all.

I sometimes wonder if the "bad ones", the "Friday afternoon" jobs get earmarked for export, knowing that they're not going to get sent back under warranty.
I know Listers used to do exactly the same with a faulty D type, it would usually end up being sent to Australia, knowing that it would never return.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2022, 12:18:09 AM »
I've seen those videos as well.  You have to ask yourself if they are Lister or Listeroids.

I have 2 Listeroids and I do enjoy playing with them. I personally would never thrust them
in the long run. We have seen too many that have let go after a time.

I don't know of any Listeroids with hours on them like the original Lister engines we see videos of.

I have seen here where guys have a few thousand hours on them. But has anyone seen one with 5 or
10 thousand ? We have also seen them fail after 1 hour or hundreds of hours. Low time failure seems
to be mostly from sand or sloppy assembly.  Several longer term failures have been broken crankshafts.
That broken crankshaft thing scares the crap out of me. That's a lot of metal to be flying around !

Would I trust a properly assembled Lister ? Yes, I think I would.
Would I trust a  properly assembled  Listeroid ? Nope
But that's just me.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 12:20:17 AM by 32 coupe »
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"