Lister Engines > Original Lister Cs Engines

CS cylinder repair

<< < (3/4) > >>

mihit:

--- Quote from: 38ac on March 31, 2022, 11:42:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: mihit on March 31, 2022, 05:59:37 AM ---
--- Quote from: 38ac on March 30, 2022, 05:05:33 PM ---No,  it wont work, the cylinder would be so far out of round when you got done brazing or any kind of  welding that would be worthless, but there is no need to take my word for it weld her up. It's no good now so you won't be ruining a cherry

--- End quote ---

Have you done this before?

We were held to some pretty tight tolerances on mould repair, and after machining you wouldn't know we'd even been there.

--- End quote ---

I did not type up a novelette for an answer because I'm not into that.  It takes forever with two fingers and doesn't convince those who don't want to be convinced.

He asked if he could save the original Listard chrome with a patch, that pretty well eliminates any machine work after welding does it not? There is no doubt that the cylinder will be pulled out of round by welding or brazing, they are a heck of a lot less ridged than most suspect. Yes it could be fixed by welding,, if he is hell bent and money is no object as its a heck of a lot more complicated than weld a patch and grind.
 First bore the cylinder to remove the chrome and about .030" of cast iron. Then a spin figure must be made to rotate the cylinder while it is welded with some suitable material that is machinable and will allow for bonding of the chome. Then it must be bored to make it round again and to size plus the chrome thickness and less for honing. Then it must be chrome plated and honed with diamonds. The welding will also pull both ends out of square so clean up cuts on the deck and base will be required using a fixture that centers on the bore.  All in its a process reserved for only the most rare and expensive pieces, certainly not for a part that is easily replaced or properly repaired.

--- End quote ---

My thinking was more like... fill the damage with this chrome sprayweld stuff, hog it back to near flush with a file, then hone. No fixturing or machining required.

Spray welding is done with very local heat, and the rest of the thing is a massive heat sink, so yeah, done as an almost cold-welding process, there absolutely IS doubt that it "will" be pulled out of round.

It's why I asked if you'd done it before...and had an idea of the process.
'Cos I have arc-welded CI without distortion, and spent more than a little time spray welding. (Manual machinist and trade engineer, too.)

It's not that I can't be convinced...it just takes evidence, not novellas of overcomplication.

dkmc:

I just want to mention, $100 to re-sleeve and liner included sounds cheaper than dirt. Is this a for profit shop or a hobby shop?? I'd be interested to hear how the job turns out.

38ac:

--- Quote from: dkmc on April 06, 2022, 04:07:58 AM ---
I just want to mention, $100 to re-sleeve and liner included sounds cheaper than dirt.

--- End quote ---

It is, I use Melling and L.A. Sleeve and the sleeves cost me about $70 with shipping. Add to that a half a day of machine and hone work. 

mobile_bob:
if you can get it resleeved for a hundred bucks then +1 from me!

a good sleeve will last a very long time, and i wouldn't worry about hard chroming the bore.

bob g

mikenash:
Shop here quoted me $410 to supply a sleeve, re-bore, press-fit and hone.  Half a day's work I think he said

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version