Lister Engines > Listeroid Engines

My fix for Listeroid light flicker

<< < (4/5) > >>

veggie:
Thanks Cujet,

The weak point at the moment is the batteries. They are 9 years old.
They hold a charge and perform well (about 85% of their original performance), but their days are numbered.
I considered switching to IiFePo but I'm not sure if an alternator can charge them.
Perhaps the BMS takes care of that problem. I will need to do more research as the time gets closer.

cheers

BruceM:

Regarding you specific question, Veggie, as long as the alternator is set to charge at a normal wet lead battery voltage, you should be able to use LFP batteries without any change.  The BMS will disconnect charging once the cells are full, and will disconnect the load when the cells get too low.  A BMS failure has resulted in battery destruction. 

DIYsolarforum is a good place to watch for the best deals/reviews on lithium batteries.  I think the waiting game is a winner. There have been plenty of issues with premature failures of lithium cells, and both price and performance keep improving each year.  About $500 for a 12V. 100AH battery, twice that for 24V, 100AH.

veggie:

Interesting Bruce,

$1000 for a 100 AMP 24 volt LFP ( or $2000 for 200 amps comparable to my current setup)

To replace my four 225 amp lead acid deep cycles, the total cost would be $800.

A huge price difference for 200 amp batteries.

Granted, a proper analysis would also include expected cycles over the life of both packs.

veggie

BruceM:
Yes, and you may be able to use the 100AH, since you can use them to near full capacity.
The situation is likely to improve by the time your existing one's are done.

cujet:

--- Quote from: veggie on May 15, 2022, 01:10:00 AM ---

$1000 for a 100 AMP 24 volt LFP ( or $2000 for 200 amps comparable to my current setup)

To replace my four 225 amp lead acid deep cycles, the total cost would be $800.

A huge price difference for 200 amp batteries.

--- End quote ---

I will have to look that price up, that seems too high. Just checked, LiFePO4 prismatic cells are still reasonably priced if you make your own battery bank. I'm seeing $108 ea for 280AH cells.

Even so, 100AH LiFePO4 is roughly equal to 200AH Pb-acid. As the depth of discharge limits on PB batteries is pretty severe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version