Puppeteer

Author Topic: Black smoke from TS3  (Read 1872 times)

LKSF

• View Profile
Black smoke from TS3
« on: March 21, 2022, 11:19:23 PM »
Hello all,
I've recently bought an old dumper which has a Lister Petter TS3 in it.
It seems to fire up and run well enough, but does bellow out black smoke when it's accelerated. It's not the air filter
AFAIK this means it's over fuelling, but what would cause that? Is there any adjustment on it?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 11:29:15 PM by LKSF »

mihit

• View Profile
Re: Black smoke from TS3
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 12:03:30 AM »
Rings would be the first thing I'd look at.

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 01:05:53 AM »
It does sound as it its getting too much fuel when you open the throttle. The engine is fitted with an overload stop which need to be set up. I've enclosed a copy of the parts book page and it's item 22.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 04:50:36 AM »
Most likely is over fueling. If no luck with that try loading the engine up by putting it under load and run up hill to make the engine work hard and run it like you hate it while loaded. Possible glazed bore could also be considered. 
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

LKSF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 09:18:19 AM »
It does sound as it its getting too much fuel when you open the throttle. The engine is fitted with an overload stop which need to be set up. I've enclosed a copy of the parts book page and it's item 22.

Thanks, i'll look into it.
Do you know how to adjust it and where to find a workshop manual for this engine?

LKSF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 09:20:30 AM »
Rings would be the first thing I'd look at.

Most likely is over fueling. If no luck with that try loading the engine up by putting it under load and run up hill to make the engine work hard and run it like you hate it while loaded. Possible glazed bore could also be considered.

Both would cause engine oil to be burned, this would create white smoke. Overfuel = black smoke.

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 01:20:49 PM »
Here are a few pages showing governor set up. I think in your case it is the governor g setting that you should be looking at.

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2022, 01:23:32 PM »
Sorry here's  the other pages

LKSF

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2022, 08:55:58 AM »
Thanks very much! When I get some time to spare i'll have a go at this and report back.
 Will check and set the tappets at the same time too, do you know if they're .15mm like the TR series in this manual?
https://www.listerpetter.com/pdf/08265%20T%20Series%20Engines%20OHbk%20-%20issue%205.pdf

wetandmuddy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2022, 08:09:38 PM »
Hello,

I have a TS3 in an old dumper too.

I can't help you with your question, aside to say that it sounds like it's over-fuelling (as others have also said...).

Please can I ask you a question about yours?

Mine starts first touch but when it does so, it often goes to immediately to a peak of very high revs before rapidly dropping to tick-over.

Does yours do anything similar?

Best wishes,

Andrew.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 08:48:30 PM by wetandmuddy »