Author Topic: original CS wick filters  (Read 1464 times)

mikenash

• View Profile
original CS wick filters
« on: March 20, 2022, 09:43:31 PM »
Hi guys - see pics

The CS which I'm playing with atm came with this.

I bought it from the widow of the "restorer" who described it as a "good runner" and indeed it seems to be.  There's probably no real way of telling how much the restoration was limited to a coat of green paint or not - without getting inside it.

It had the traditional stale yellow thin oil/thick diesel discharge and the traditional "stale fuel" smell

But the insert looks to be in great shape, and I cleaned it out with aerosol brakleen until it was dripping clean all over

Are people still using these filters with 'working" engines?  I have a nice Ryco filter and water-drain setup - but using this old girl seemed to give a good convenient bleed point and access to the original fat-cross-section delivery tube with the big banjo fittings

It seemed to me that with a pre-filter and water-trap, keeping the original unit in the line might have merit?

Thoughts?  Cheers

mihit

• View Profile
Re: original CS wick filters
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 06:45:12 AM »
If you have a lathe and drillpress, or know someone handy with one, you can make a stem that will fit a paper cartridge filter inside the original housing.

Sorry I can't seem to find the part number on the cartridge, but it's a common one. Z119?

mihit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 06:49:16 AM »
Oh and if you're pre-filtering it off the engine...you could leave the snake out and it would basically become a second sediment/water trap.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 11:08:40 PM »
You have a lot of choices. The original wicks are available from India. Order extras as about half will be unusable. Pictured are three other choices. The FF5504 on the right is actually another L/P application. Run a 3/8 pipe die up the threads to slightly adjust them and it screws right in where the wick was. The green filter in the middle came from Omega, a Listeroid erector and it also screws in where tbe wick was. On the left is an easy modification I do in house. More in next post. You can also leave tb
the canister empty and use thr popular R12T RACOR unit.

Collector and horder of about anything diesel

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 11:23:10 PM »
Here is a popular modification thays easy peasy. Supplies are a 1/4" X6" brass pipe nipple. A 1/4 X 3/8 brass pipe bushing and a 3167 NAPA element. Not shown is a 1/8" pipe plug.

1. Tighten the bushing on the nipple
2. Cut off all but 4 threads on the bushing.
3. Screw the nipple and bushing into the filter head and cut the nipple short enough that the head will fully drop into the bowl.
4. Run a 1/8 pipe tap into the cut off end and insert a pipe plug and grind it off flush with the end of the nipple.
5. Drill a series of small holes along the length of the nipple 6 or so is plenty. About 1/16 bit.  Be sure to clean the inside of the nipple of all debris.
7. Install the nipple and bushing in the head using a sealer.
8. slide the element over the nipple and drop it in the base to be sure it goes all the way down.
9. A short spring under the element holds it up against the head. I use discarded Listeroid valve springs cut down to fit.

Be sure that when you install the top fuel line on the filter that the banjo bolt doesn't hit the brass bushing, if so shorten it on a grinder

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 05:01:31 AM »
Hey 38AC and others.  Thanks for your thoughts.  I will have a good look at all the options.  Cheers

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 10:00:17 AM »
Your welcome, here is the R12T Racor unit, nice stuff.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2022, 10:07:02 AM »
Here is the L/P part number for the same filter as the Fleetguard FF5044. They are on EBay quite often as are the Racor filters.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2022, 05:12:49 AM »
Cool.  Thanks

I'm up at the site where the Listers are this weekend, but who knows if I'll have a chance to do much more than a measure-up around fuel supply stuff?  I have an old copper HWC insert needs to be plumbed-up as a thermosiphon tank along with a winter drain etc - that may occupy my time

Cheers