Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister model L  (Read 1592 times)

littleridge

• View Profile
Lister model L
« on: March 15, 2022, 05:26:32 AM »
Hi all, I am restoring an old model L 5 hp engine. What is the correct position of the oil pipe extending from the bottom of conrod?
Thanks for any help.
Regards

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: Lister model L
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 10:17:26 AM »
Is it a dipper to pick up oil from the sump or a pressurised oil line?
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

littleridge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 01:56:45 AM »
Hi,thanks for your early reply. No its not a dipper, its a small bent copper pipe and it is lose ,so I need to know the correct position,

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 03:41:45 AM »
Not really sure from the description what the pipe could be. Maybe post a photo.

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 03:51:32 AM »
The only pipes I can think of are the oil feed pipes to the main bearings. These run from the oil pump to the bearing housings. Where they fit into the bearing housing they are just a press fit.)

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 12:07:00 PM »
I call them hollow dippers and there are two styles. One has the open bottom end cut at about a 45 degree angle, the other is flat bottomed with a hole on the side. The purpose of either is to scoop oil and feed it up through a hole in the lower bearing shell. Now study the rotation of your engine and which direction the con rod installs. The proper orientation for the type with a hole in the side is hole forward as it rotates. The  angle cut dipper should have the longest side to the rear as it rotates. If you are still confused I will try to post a drawing of what I am trying to explain.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

littleridge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2022, 02:10:23 AM »
Photo of the oil-pipe

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2022, 04:27:29 AM »
That is definitely a dipper tube for oil pick up. Now I do not know a lot about these in Lister engines but in all other engines I have seen these the tube faces forward as it scoops through the oil to pick it up and force the oil to the bearing shells.
There are more informed members here than I on these engines and I will be happy to be shown different and learn something new.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2022, 11:06:50 AM »
As he said turn it so the hole is pointed forward as the engine rotates. I have not seen a dipper like that on an L, it may be bent? With the oil at the correct level in the sump be certain that it reaches down I to the oil about halfway.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2022, 02:38:20 PM »
fwiw

seems you also might have to be careful how far you screw the tube up into the rod cap?

it has to screw in far enough to engage the lower brg shell, but not so far as to make contact with the crankshaft? 

i seem to remember some discussion on that topic with the listeroids, years ago. not sure if it is applicable to the model L

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2022, 12:10:17 AM »
I never knew that part so that is great info and helps a lot of people. I would drop the bottom half of the bearing cap off and unscrew the pick up if that is how it fits then clean it up using carby cleaner and fit it back in using Loctite so it does not unscrew again. Taking care that the tube is inside the bearing shell but not touching the journal.