Puppeteer

Author Topic: SR2 Crank Case Pressure  (Read 821 times)

RichardsSR2

• View Profile
SR2 Crank Case Pressure
« on: March 08, 2022, 04:38:31 PM »
My SR2 started to blow oil from the D rings between the Head and the opening for the rods/ fuel pipes etc. I disassembled and reassembled the head making sure the seals were in good order and clamped everything back down accordingly. Starting is good. A small oil patch is still weeping out in the same area on both head joints. Talking to the helpful chap from Lister spares.co.uk he said it might be pressure in the crank case caused by warn piston rings. When I take one of the caps off that expose the decompression arm I can feel air blowing out. Do any of you gurus have a take on this. Cheers.

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
Re: SR2 Crank Case Pressure
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 12:37:52 AM »
The Lister SR engines should run with a vacuum in the crankcase. They rely on this to keep them relatively oil tight. The one thing you could check is the breather pipes in the cylinder heads to ensure there are no blockages. Apart from that I would go along with what you were told by the Lister agent. If you are getting any blow by of the piston rings this could certainly give this problem. The other thing to check would be the valves and valve guides to ensure a good seal.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 05:24:35 AM »
That is great advise from Diesel Engineering and I agree that you should look at and confirm no blockages in the breathers and that the valves are seating well. After that it may well be a ring job.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

RichardsSR2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 08:39:29 AM »
Thanks will do and let you know. Cheers.