Author Topic: NEWBIE - LISTER OWNER  (Read 1548 times)

photosolo

• View Profile
NEWBIE - LISTER OWNER
« on: March 06, 2022, 01:53:15 PM »
Hi there, apologies if this is the wrong place for this.
Im a total novice !
I have owned a Lister with Startomatic for a few months. Im hoping to have it as our reliable back up on our off grid house.
I know very little about them other than they are supposed to be pretty bullet proof.
I managed to get it working & producing power off a couple of old 12v car batteries, but they haven't held their charge. The voltage on them has now dropped to 22v. The startomatic function has completely stopped operating. Im hoping this is a DC voltage issue and nothing too major?
I have still managed to successfully start the Lister with the crank but it no longer seems to produce any power. Does the alternator need the 24v to stiil work?
Apologies if this is a stupid question. I'm just trying to figure it out as i go.
The initial start up was interesting as I discovered that the exhaust pipe/silencer was full of dog biscuits thanks to a rather industrious mouse. I'll try and add pix
im based in Mid-Wales if anyone on here is local ?

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: NEWBIE - LISTER OWNER
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 10:43:58 AM »
Gday photosolo and welcome to the forum. This is as good a place to post your question so dont worry. I have no idea on generators but there are some really great members here that can and will help you out, it just takes a little time as they dont spend a lot of time online.
Something that might help them out is offering as much detail about the set up, what it did when you started it up, what the gauges were telling you and what was the battery levels like when you shut it down.
If batteries were fully charged when you shut it down then one of two things are not right. Bad batteries not holding charge or the generator is drawing from the batteries. I would disconnect the batteries from the system so that no shorts can happen and start a fire or burn out components if you have not done so already.
Have a look at all the wiring and behind the circuit board looking for anything out of place or wrong, bare wire/s etc. Sometimes the problems are inside the generator and that will require the help from the members here to advise you what to check.
Do you have a multimeter and have a basic idea on how to use and read it? As that will be a big help for you to be able to identify the problem. You mentioned that these engines are bullet proof and I tend to agree as when these were built, they were built to last. One thing that is most important is maintenance. So if you have not done so already and you now know the engine runs do a full service from oils to all filters, engine, fuel and air. If you do this they will repay your efforts by being relaible.
Hopefully members with the knowledge to help you out turn up soon. Keep us informed with any and all progress.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

photosolo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 05:25:58 PM »
Thanks Cobbadog
I'm away for a couple of days now, but on my return i plan to try again with a fully charged 24v battery & see what happens. From what I can see the Start-o-Matic aspect of the system seems to be made of 2 separate components. One electronics housing that can be hung on the wall with the Amp meter Volt meter etc & another that sits on top of the generator itself.
The wall hung unit seems nice and tidy inside with regards to wiring but the other unit looks like it would benefit from a good day at the spa!
My electronic knowledge is limited but not completely redundant. The Lister is to work as a back-up genny for our off-grid house. I've built the 48v Lifepo4 battery system from 16 cells in series. But all my knowledge has come from the internet not college, they do say ignorance is bliss!
I'll try and add a couple more pix.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 05:10:36 AM »
Im the same with electronics, very basic knowledge.
In your second pic at the top RH side there is a relay switch. On this there is 2 wires with yellow insulation on them and they look to sit very close to each other.
Thats about it from me.

photosolo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 07:53:23 AM »
Small update. The new battery didn’t reduce the issue. But after a closer inspection I found a one cable that had come away from its connection & 2 DC fuses blown. So next job is a thorough spring clean and general renewal of as many DC connections as possible. 👍 oh and buy some more fuses!

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 10:26:33 AM »
Now that is a huge find and should help a lot. Maybe the bad connection caused the blown fuses, hopefully. I had an attempt at repairing a circuit board under advise from others online.
Something that helped me in finding issues was the use of a good light and a magnifying glass. So after finding one bad connection go over all of them you can see and crimp them again or solder them.

photosolo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 03:33:39 PM »
I’m going to attempt a methodical tidy up of cables/connections 🤞
A good light, warm clothes (garage is bloody cold) & a lot of patience is needed now👍

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 04:42:04 AM »
And some new rubber grommets where those larger cables enter the box, they are way past their use by date.

photosolo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2022, 07:44:02 AM »
You are not wrong there !

I don't suppose you know if there's a manual for the Start-O-Matic on here somewhere?
I found one post with a link but the link has long expired. Sadly it seems to owner is no longer with us.
Surely it must be on here somewhere but I just can find it...?

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2022, 10:21:20 AM »
Send me your email and I will send the S.O.M. manual I have. It has circuits for a CTA alternator which may be a help.

photosolo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2022, 07:39:37 AM »
Thanks OldGoat - Ive PM'd you

mihit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2022, 05:42:59 AM »
I've built the 48v Lifepo4 battery system from 16 cells in series. But all my knowledge has come from the internet not college, they do say ignorance is bliss!

LiPo is a whole new kettle of fish! There are a couple people on here who have done SBC/arduino controllers and such for them, it's all way over my head.
But I do know that they need to be balanced, and charged correctly, or they tend to get a bit explodey...

As to your original query, I don't know the SOMs particularly, but an -alternator-  does require a field/reference voltage. 22V should be more than enough to excite the field and create output.
The things to check then would be your diode bridge/rectifier. And for any shorts to ground.
Your batteries could also be poked, with low internal resistance.

A -generator- should output voltage all the time, again you can check for shorts to ground, particularly clean up the commutator and slip rings.