Author Topic: 10/2 crankshaft question  (Read 739 times)

Cel

• View Profile
10/2 crankshaft question
« on: February 17, 2022, 05:52:15 PM »
Hello everyone

I am new to this forum, collector of old iron and have a JP on original trolley. Was visiting with a friend in France last year, and he had just acquired a 10/2 that drove a generator in an old farm house. He is not very technical and asked me to have a look because there was something preventing it from making a full revolution. So we opened the crankcase only to find out that one of the big end bearing caps was gone and it was the connecting rod that prevented the crankshaft from turning.

As I happen to have the lower end of a 12/2 (crankcase with crankshaft and flywheels) with the conrods in (no pistons) I took a conrod with me when we were on holiday a couple of weeks ago. However, it turned out that the crankshaft journals (where the big ends fit) are only 2" in diameter whereas the crankshaft in my 12/2 is 2,5". I have searched on the internet and on this forum but can only find a smaller diameter of 2,25" for the early 10/2's. Could it be that is a very early one and that these had the 2" crankshafts? Serial number is 803.

Regards
Marcel
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 05:53:50 PM by Cel »

38ac

• View Profile
Re: 10/2 crankshaft question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 07:10:07 PM »
That would be one of the earliest known CS twins and yes, the very early engines had smaller crank pin diameters. Spares for those are virtually non existant other than if somebody is breaking one down for parts. You should advertise your predicament on several of the CS Facebook groups or CS web sites where collectors will see it and maybe a part will present it self. Otherwise you are in for making pieces or switching the crankhaft and con rods for a later version.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Cel

• View Profile
Re: 10/2 crankshaft question
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 06:16:05 PM »
Many thanks for your reply. Would a 2,5" crankshaft and conrods be interchangeable? Just curious, as I will probably end up making a new big end bearing. We will also put the flywheels back on both sides.