Puppeteer

Author Topic: Favorite source for methanol + potassium hydroxide  (Read 5697 times)

Tanman

• View Profile
Favorite source for methanol + potassium hydroxide
« on: February 16, 2022, 06:41:59 AM »
Hello, I have a DI 12/2 I’m kicking around making bio diesel for. A family member runs a restaurant and can get me all the veg oil I want. I’m just trying to find the best sources for methanol and sodium and or potassium hydroxide. Who would have that stuff at a good bulk price?
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Favorite source for methanol + potassium hydroxide
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 10:56:24 AM »
Can't help you with the supplies but I must admit that when I logged on this morning I was very curious about the latest posting on the LEF!! :D :D
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 02:26:32 PM »
Lol! That’s great.
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 07:37:34 PM »
So I found a source for methanol, the cost would be $5 a gallon. But I have a half baked idea for an alternative. E-85 is readily available in my area and costs about $2.75 a gallon. Has anyone tried making biodiesel using ethanol instead of methanol? And would the 15% gas (petrol) in the e-85 make it better or worse?! My thought would be better because biodiesel has a higher flash point than regular diesel, so a little gas (petrol) would help lower it closer to regular diesel. Or I’ll blow myself up, not sure.
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

mihit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2022, 05:13:15 PM »
I think you are unlikely to blow yourself up with petrol. In fact with "black diesel" refined from waste motor oil, people often cut it with petrol to get it to viscosity.
How effective it is in the transesterification process is another question entirely.

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel.html is the recipe I'm familiar with, though I've never done it myself.

Where I live methanol can be purchased in any quantity you like (up to 44 gal drum size) from industrial suppliers. However for some reason it requires police clearance.
If you know anyone running a moonshine still they may be happy to give you their foreshots and heads which could be redistilled/compressed into something fairly effective.

Bulk Sodium Hydroxide available at farm supply stores. Potassium hydroxide available from soap-making suppliers.

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 06:09:01 PM »
I think we are going to see a resurgence in interest both in Biodiesel and WVO for powering vehicles and generators.

Methanol - Check your local VP Racing Fuels distributor. They sell Methanol as dragster fuel in 45 gallon drums.
The only other option seems to be buying 1 gallon jugs at the hardware store. Sold as Methyl Hydrate.

Catalyst: Many say Pottasium Hydroxide (KOH) is better and a bit safer than Sodium Hydroxide. The Glycerol waste with KOH is usually a lot less viscous and easier to deal with. Most local chemical dealers carry KOH in 25 lb bags.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 08:52:30 PM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 06:13:17 PM »
By the way.... for a lister(oid) you don't have to go to the trouble of making biodiesel.
They run very well on cleaned/filtered waste vegetable oil.
Also consider a blend. 80% veg oil and 20% unleaded gasoline.
Just keep the temperatures high enough for clean combustion (coolant thermostat).
Start on diesel for warm up, then switch over to WVO. Afterwards, switch back to diesel for 3 minutes or so before shutdown.

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 05:00:01 AM »

Where I live methanol can be purchased in any quantity you like (up to 44 gal drum size) from industrial suppliers. However for some reason it requires police clearance.
If you know anyone running a moonshine still they may be happy to give you their foreshots and heads which could be redistilled/compressed into something fairly effective.

Bulk Sodium Hydroxide available at farm supply stores. Potassium hydroxide available from soap-making suppliers.

Funny in my area transporting a full drum of methanol is no problem, but having a still (ANY still) can get you in HUGE legal trouble.
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2022, 05:00:47 AM »
By the way.... for a lister(oid) you don't have to go to the trouble of making biodiesel.
They run very well on cleaned/filtered waste vegetable oil.
Also consider a blend. 80% veg oil and 20% unleaded gasoline.
Just keep the temperatures high enough for clean combustion (coolant thermostat).
Start on diesel for warm up, then switch over to WVO. Afterwards, switch back to diesel for 3 minutes or so before shutdown.

Do you think that would work alright in a DI listeroid?
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2022, 02:52:44 PM »
My Listeroid is a DI engine and it runs well on both BioD and WVO.

BioD - No mods needed. (Except for changing the crappy Indian rubber fuel line from the tank to the fuel filter. It will disintegrate.
           Modern fuel injector hose has a liner which is compatible with biodiesel.

WVO - I heat the WVO on the way to the injector using a Ni-chrome wire heater wrapped around the steel injector line.
            The other option is a coolant heat exchanger which passes coolant heat to the wvo on the way to the injector pump.

Blend - No mods needed (If you choose to run a blend, then no fuel heating should be necessary as the viscosity is already adequate.)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 02:57:12 PM by veggie »

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2022, 01:23:29 PM »
My Listeroid is a DI engine and it runs well on both BioD and WVO.

BioD - No mods needed. (Except for changing the crappy Indian rubber fuel line from the tank to the fuel filter. It will disintegrate.
           Modern fuel injector hose has a liner which is compatible with biodiesel.

WVO - I heat the WVO on the way to the injector using a Ni-chrome wire heater wrapped around the steel injector line.
            The other option is a coolant heat exchanger which passes coolant heat to the wvo on the way to the injector pump.

Blend - No mods needed (If you choose to run a blend, then no fuel heating should be necessary as the viscosity is already adequate.)

Awesome, thank you for the input.
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2