Lister Engines > Things I want to Buy

Generator head pulley

(1/3) > >>

KDB:
Looking for a serpentine pulley for use with a 6/1 1800 RPM gen head. 8.25-8.4 inch diameter or so. Any standard bush system (SK preferred). With or without a bushing (will need 42mm for my app). Able to ship to Texas address.

38ac:
I machined exactly one of those pulleys when a serp drive was necessary or one would get thrown out of the cool club. If I priced making another one even at zero profit I would get laughed at.  Truth of the matter is the actual HP savings over a V belt drive is so neglegable that it cannot been determined except in a laboratory setting. Everything I have set up since that first one uses 2 A section belts, 8.5 OD 2 belt sheave which will have a pitch diameter of around 8.25 depending on manufacturer and engine speeds of 630 RPM or so.
Of course it is up to you how you spend your money but that whole serp belt deal was mostly an unnecessary and expensive fad. If you are dead set on saving a quart of fuel per year via tbe belt drive then go with a V belt pulley and instead of a standard belt purchase a box of A section link belt from Fenner Drives.

KDB:
You may be correct but I'm not asking someone to machine me one. I could do that just down the street but like you said, it would be expensive. I know for a fact that there is many of what I describe in existence and there may be someone that has no use for one and would like to take the opportunity to get something for it rather than store it the rest of their lives. I have seen them for sale before for a price I was willing to pay but I didn't need one then. I also think that when you are starting with 6hp, it is worth while to make an attempt to get one when you plan to use it on a generator head. If I was pumping water or something I wouldn't worry about it but a couple hundred watts when your total is only in the 3.5K range to start is significant depending on your plans for the power.

keith71:

--- Quote from: 38ac on February 12, 2022, 12:21:31 PM ---I machined exactly one of those pulleys when a serp drive was necessary or one would get thrown out of the cool club. If I priced making another one even at zero profit I would get laughed at.  Truth of the matter is the actual HP savings over a V belt drive is so neglegable that it cannot been determined except in a laboratory setting. Everything I have set up since that first one uses 2 A section belts, 8.5 OD 2 belt sheave which will have a pitch diameter of around 8.25 depending on manufacturer and engine speeds of 630 RPM or so.
Of course it is up to you how you spend your money but that whole serp belt deal was mostly an unnecessary and expensive fad. If you are dead set on saving a quart of fuel per year via tbe belt drive then go with a V belt pulley and instead of a standard belt purchase a box of A section link belt from Fenner Drives.

--- End quote ---
   I agree 100% The serpentine belt "may" have a slight advantage vs the standard 2 A belt v pulley and I guess it looks cooler.. 2 qaulity A belts on a v pulley has been around for since the beginning. JMO.. And I realize this is not an answer to the op's original question.

mike90045:
i had to "crown" the engine flywheel side, to keep the belt from wandering.  I used about 3 layers of 10mil plumbing tape.  Been working for years.  Wrap in the direction so the belt tightens the tape, or it will loosen it and throw it all off in a few minutes

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version