Puppeteer

Author Topic: Filling pitted spots  (Read 1036 times)

Tanman

• View Profile
Filling pitted spots
« on: February 11, 2022, 11:57:14 PM »
Hello, what is the standard procedure for filling pitting in the castings? After removing the paint and sandblasting my flywheels there is some pretty good pitting in some spots I would like to fill. Do you braze iron into them? JB Weld? Epoxy?
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Filling pitted spots
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 11:57:44 AM »
Back when a slick and shine engine was in vogue at the engine shows people would fill the castings with body putty. I guess JB weld would work but brazing? nope, not on my engines.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 03:22:27 PM »
myself if i was concerned about pitting, i would just use bondo, sand it smooth, paint it and i am your uncle :)

lots of folks got all nutted up about indian casting looking so pitted and rough, apart from issues with problems with flywheels it is all cosmetic in my opinion.

back 100+ years ago cincinnati ohio was the epicenter of machine tool manufacture in this country, and they build some really beautiful machine tools...skip forward a hundred years or more and you will find guys stripping these tools down to rebuild and repaint only to find some of the most hideous pits and casting flaws, all covered in some sort of putty, sanded smooth and painted from the factory.

if it worked for them, it should work today?

edit:  got to thinking about this a bit more, for most pits a tube of the glazing putty that is sold at body shop suppliers, would work really well and be handy to work with. it is made to sand easily and would fill all but the largest holes.  comes in a huge tooth paste like tube, require no mixing, and is easy to clean up.

bob g
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 03:25:08 PM by mobile_bob »
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 06:50:46 PM »
Thanks guys, I’m not too picky but there is some pitting on the smooth outer surface of my flywheels and I want to fill those.
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 01:08:18 AM »
Thanks guys, I’m not too picky but there is some pitting on the smooth outer surface of my flywheels and I want to fill those.

There's going to be some centrifugal force there.  Whatever you use, clean well and stand clear.  You could have a BB launcher