Lister Engines > Listeroid Engines

Muffler Through Wall Question

<< < (2/4) > >>

Listerational:
Thanks to all for the excellent advice. The leach field sounds super easy for what you get: low noise and clean air. Would someone mind giving me a brief description of where I can learn more about building one? I am probably getting this all wrong but here goes;   I turn my 2" metal rigid conduit down and before it enters the leach field put a piece of 3" pvc or noncorrosive pipe on the end and just let it exhaust in a bed of rocks?

May I ask, how does it remove the high pressure pulses?

Thanks for the amazing advice.

mike90045:
i used 2 metal crawl space screens, and cut a hole thru the middle for the pipe. Screens keep critters out of the wall interior

BruceM:
You might find this useful:
https://youtu.be/sMu5VRA8GLM

From a 2016 thread:

Re: DES 8/1 Propane Conversion project
« Reply #169 on: January 05, 2016, 06:14:46 AM »
We also have a port outside the generator shed where we can screw in the stock "pepper pot" muffler;  I used that initially so I could see the exhaust.  It's a good idea for us to confirm our rich on full load situation with the pepper pot in place just to see.  Thanks for thinking of that Gary.

Our leach field "earth muffler"  is a 24" wide, 3.5 foot deep ditch 20 foot long filled with 3" rock (1 foot of dirt on top of some aluminum flashing).  A section of about 6 feet of 2" ID pipe with holes cut on the sides and downward feeds the leech field.  A section of 4" plastic perforated drain pipe leads out of the last 6 feet and up to a vent cap above ground.  I'd be surprised if this was overly restricting the exhaust.

I will add that I've seen some videos of  masonry mufflers (buried large expansion chamber), that they work very well and would also solve the soot on the solar panel problem.  They just won't clean up the exhaust smell as well as the leach field method.  I didn't invent it, I just appropriated it.  The leach field is the ultimate but takes some digging.

Listerational:

--- Quote from: BruceM on February 13, 2022, 05:50:54 AM ---You might find this useful:
https://youtu.be/sMu5VRA8GLM

From a 2016 thread:

Re: DES 8/1 Propane Conversion project
« Reply #169 on: January 05, 2016, 06:14:46 AM »
We also have a port outside the generator shed where we can screw in the stock "pepper pot" muffler;  I used that initially so I could see the exhaust.  It's a good idea for us to confirm our rich on full load situation with the pepper pot in place just to see.  Thanks for thinking of that Gary.

Our leach field "earth muffler"  is a 24" wide, 3.5 foot deep ditch 20 foot long filled with 3" rock (1 foot of dirt on top of some aluminum flashing).  A section of about 6 feet of 2" ID pipe with holes cut on the sides and downward feeds the leech field.  A section of 4" plastic perforated drain pipe leads out of the last 6 feet and up to a vent cap above ground.  I'd be surprised if this was overly restricting the exhaust.

I will add that I've seen some videos of  masonry mufflers (buried large expansion chamber), that they work very well and would also solve the soot on the solar panel problem.  They just won't clean up the exhaust smell as well as the leach field method.  I didn't invent it, I just appropriated it.  The leach field is the ultimate but takes some digging.

--- End quote ---

Great video. That leach field muffler system is quite nice.
I like the chimney on the roof of your generator building. Does that capture all of the (secondary) gases coming out of the side of your engine or do you pipe the gases out separately?

Thank you for sharing that.

BruceM:
I replaced the reed valve on the main door with a 3/4 brass check valve, spring removed and oriented so that gravity is the closing force.  That feeds a 3/4 heater hose to through the wall.  I use the same for my 6/1.  I'd rather vent it than gum up the intake, especially for the CA-110 diaphram type propane carburetor.

After the first summer, we revised this setup to increase the stack pipe diameter, and put a wind powered turbine type vent on top.  We also added a cheap auto radiator fan with thermal switch from Amazon.  This is because on the very rare absolutely windless days under full load,  it would start boiling radiator fluid.  The fan comes on only a few times each summer, so should last a long time. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version