Puppeteer

Author Topic: Generator Enclosures  (Read 1924 times)

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
Generator Enclosures
« on: April 10, 2021, 04:29:40 PM »
Has anyone enclosed a diesel generator for noise attenuation ?
I intend to surround my R175 Changfa with an close fitting insulated enclosure to really silence the system along with the new "dual tank" muffler.
My fear is that the generator head will overheat. It's a 4KW head which will be loaded to 1.5kw continuous.
If I run a cooling duct to the inlet of the generator fan it would create a massive channel for noise to escape.
How did you get around this issue?

Or ... maybe it's not an issue at all ?

veggie
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 04:38:10 PM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

veggie

• View Profile
Re: Generator Enclosures
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 04:31:00 PM »

Coolant heat is routed externally via insulated PEX tubing to a remote mounted radiator
The majority of the heat generated in the enclosure will come from the surface of the engine and the windings of the generator head.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 04:36:31 PM by veggie »

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 06:09:56 PM »
My thoughts not based on specific experience for you application:

Plan A- put a duct to the generator head air inlet, and make a deeply folded and fiberglass covered plywood box muffler for it. A similar muffler path for the air outlet.  Insulated flex duct, with a deeply bent path might be a way to do this also.

Plan B-  Put the generator head outside the sound isolating box, cover most of the belt slot with a removeable plate for better sound isolation.  This might not work for your frame/enclosure design but it is quite simple.

Plan C- In a book I have, one author used fully enclosed squirrel cage type blowers as a way of cooling his insulated for sound isolation diesel generator shed, which he claimed blocked the mechanical noise quite well.  A pair of very small, low power ones might be worth a try.  One on inlet and one on outlet; inlet might be directed to the generator head inlet. 

« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 06:14:45 PM by BruceM »

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 02:30:45 PM »

All good points,

Thanks BruceM

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 08:10:51 PM »
The air ducting in Lister/Petter sound enclosures simply provide a serpentine path for the cooling air to flow through, along with foam dampening on all surfaces. This keeps noise dampened as well while providing an open air pathway.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 09:24:29 PM »
+1  A serpentine or folded air path with carpet or foam or acoustic absorbing materials is common to may successful sound control enclosures I've seen for industrial applications.  Sound pressure waves can only propagate well around the blocked direct path by bouncing, so this greatly reduces the area and improves the effectiveness of the sound absorbent materials.  Serpentine is highly effective as it spreads the sound wave energy in many directions as it reflects from the curved wall.