Puppeteer

Author Topic: Ea300 based generac generator.  (Read 3382 times)

Tanman

• View Profile
Ea300 based generac generator.
« on: July 15, 2021, 05:19:58 AM »
Restored Kubota EA300 based generac generator. Asking 1,900. Located in central MN, USA. Has electric start and a glow plug.
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

guest18

Re: Ea300 based generac generator.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 01:38:34 PM »
Very nice generator Tanman.

A used high quality generator like that one (and in this day and time) should sell for $3,000.00 or more in the United States.

Reliable, simple, long life, compact 3000 watt mobile diesel generators don’t get much better than that.

Are you sure you want to sell it? They are getting so hard to find.

I’d hate to have you regret selling it years later.

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 03:19:03 PM »
Yeah I've never seen another factory built one like this before or since. I even looked on the internet for a picture of one, the only pics I found are of this one before it was restored. This price is for forum members only. It's listed for more money elsewhere online. I do have a spare EA300 engine that I think I will hang onto and build a diy gen set if I want another with this size and capacity.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 03:25:26 PM by Tanman »
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

guest18

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 06:14:46 AM »
It sounds like a good plan.

One thing for sure, some person will be purchasing one nice generator.

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 02:48:10 AM »
 I have (what I think is) a very similar Kubota tooth belt driven generator EA330 engine. It is in the "as removed" condition. I understand it came off of a firetruck. Runs really well and will carry a modest load with no problem.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 02:56:21 AM by cujet »
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

guest18

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 03:48:53 AM »
cujet, you have a nice one there.
I see it has a Markon generator head. My guess is that it is either a BL105E or BL105F. It’s been years so I might be wrong. The clogged belt setups are nice. They do make a little noise but they are reliable and can take less tension than other belted setups.

It could possibly be one made by Next Generation Power Engineering, Inc.
I know some of the people at Next Generation over 10 years and they are great to work with. And, they have most parts in stock.

If it is one of theirs it’s one of the earlier ones. They changed to a custom stretch type serpentine belt setup. The stretch type belt setup is also reliable and much quieter than the clogged setup. But I would rather have the clogged setup.

What can it put out?

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 04:01:10 PM »
cujet, you have a nice one there.
I see it has a Markon generator head. My guess is that it is either a BL105E or BL105F. It’s been years so I might be wrong. The clogged belt setups are nice. They do make a little noise but they are reliable and can take less tension than other belted setups.

It could possibly be one made by Next Generation Power Engineering, Inc.
I know some of the people at Next Generation over 10 years and they are great to work with. And, they have most parts in stock.

If it is one of theirs it’s one of the earlier ones. They changed to a custom stretch type serpentine belt setup. The stretch type belt setup is also reliable and much quieter than the clogged setup. But I would rather have the clogged setup.

What can it put out?

Thanks for the info. Not at all sure what it can put out. Hooked up a couple of 1500 watt heaters and it ran them. I think the engine is almost 7HP. So if that's the case, it's a 3500 watt unit. The gen head is very oversized. Maybe it could use on of those tiny turbochargers....
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

guest18

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 06:23:24 PM »
Your welcome,

From my testing I feel good conservative ratings are as follows posted below.

(The ratings posted below are estimated figures, yours could vary)
 They will put out 2500 watts continuous and 3000 watts safely for over an hour. They will handle 3500 watts very briefly but the Kubota engine is laboring pretty good. I feel it’s best not to operate it at 3500 watts for no more than 1 minute.

A word of caution, when running it in very hot weather do not use antifreeze. Use water with a corrosion inhibitor. Otherwise there is a possibility that it could overheat.

I believe most of those units used the Markon BL105E head. (Rating is 6kW) This is good because I found the BL105G (7.5 kW) head I tested put out some trash at full rated load. It was fine at 75% load.

guest18

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 12:33:03 PM »
Been thinking, with the drive pulleys set up to operate the engine at 3000 RPM’s the Kubota engine should pull a 3500 watt load.

On my EB300 engine, the rating is 6hp at 2600 RPM. It will put out 2500 watt continuous and 3000 watt intermittent. How long? I don’t know. It’s in hours. The surge capability is very good. It just handled over a 50 amp momentarily surge last week. The generator has no problem starting a 1.5kw nail gun compressor with the air tank having 120 psi pressure during startup. The engine handled it easily.

Your EA330 should exceed the EB300 rating with ease. My guess is it should handle a 3000 watt continuous load with a proper cooling system. And a 3500 watt load intermittent for an hour or more at a time.

The EA300 & EA330 Kubota engines put out almost the same hp. and torque. It’s so close that it makes no difference which one a person has.

Over ten years ago while I was talking to a Kubota application engineer and I ask, why Kubota increased the bore on the EA330?  His answer was, to help the engine meet new tier emission standards.

They also got rid of the jet start device that aides startup in extreme cold weather. My guess is when the device is used on startup and once the engine fires up there will be a white cloud lingering in the air until the extra fuel that was injected in the intake is used up. It’s too bad the jet start device was removed because that extra fuel definitely made a difference in cold weather. Especially if you had a dead battery and the glow plug was inoperable. I’ve used the jet start regularly on the EB300 build and the engine usually fired up the first or second try.

In my opinion, the Kubota EA, EB and EL series engines are great little engines.

(Corrected typos)

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 02:20:56 PM »
I agree great little engines. I have used this one to start my 240v well pump, and the startup watts on that is 5kw. It didn't even blink.
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

guest18

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 02:55:41 AM »
I have (what I think is) a very similar Kubota tooth belt driven generator EA330 engine. It is in the "as removed" condition. I understand it came off of a firetruck. Runs really well and will carry a modest load with no problem.

Cujet,
I looked closely and I see the generator head is an SL105G.

It’s a brush type generator head that is controlled by an AVR.

Here is a link for Application Guidance Notes: Technical Information from Cummins Generator Technologies

http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=3828.0

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2022, 07:50:26 PM »
Generator is sold.
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2