Author Topic: SR2 starter replacement  (Read 13065 times)

KC7NOA

• View Profile
Re: SR2 starter replacement
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2022, 07:47:13 AM »
Im still looking for a SR2 starter spacer ...

But i also had the original starter rebuilt at a local shop -- to a tune of 230$

I need to drill and easy out one broke off stud that is used to bolt on the starter and then i can give it another try ...

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2022, 10:22:30 AM »
Not sure if you can make your spacer rather than trying to find one for sale. With the removal of the broken stud, take your time to centre punch as close to the centre of the broken stud. Take your time when drilling even use a lubricant to help keep the bit cool. /start small and slowly increase the size of the bit until you are almost as large as you can go and not damage the internal thread of the engine.
At this stage I usually use a small chisel that I made from an old pin punch to collapse the remainder of the stud. I have never had success using ezy-outs. Once the thread starts to collapse you should be able to unwind the remainding thread.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2022, 06:47:15 PM »
If you can get your hands on a set of left handed HSS (or similar) twist drill bits the job MAY be a whole load easier.

Take your time and get as central as possible with the pilot hole, go up a bit with the second, and then use the largest you dare. As it bites the left handed bit will be trying to screw the stud out, whilst developing a bit of heat down where you need it.

Plenty of penetrating oil too, I've been using 5 / 10% ATF in acetone since learning about on here a few years back. Butch rated the paraffin from the wash down tank in the same thread, as I recall..

If drilling into the stud the 'wrong' way does nothing, you've got the hole you were going to drill anyway

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2022, 04:10:30 AM »
Good advice, but make your ATF/Acetone mix 50/50.  It will work better

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2022, 04:40:58 AM »
Most mixes of acetone and transmission oil I have heard of is usually 50/50. Left hand drill bits are the go as well but if you only need them once in a blue moon is a bit pricey to buy a set. One guy said he used his hammer drill to do that but I would not advise that. Heat always is another good option along with the acetone mix or WD40 or similar product. Paraffin is a new one to me. I have heard and seen it but never tried using it in this situation. Anything and everything is worth a try.

KC7NOA

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2022, 09:58:13 AM »
I have a 3/8" hammer drill ... and i can buy a set or reverse drill bits locally .. i seen them on the shelf behind the maned parts desk ...

Iv done this kind of work before with a magDrill .. but i no longer have access to that kind of equipment
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 10:57:45 AM by KC7NOA »

KC7NOA

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2022, 11:03:05 AM »
Finally got the broken stud replaced and the original starter installed ...
[img]https://youtube.com/shorts/6Aq6KDARAfM?feature=share/[img]
[url]https://youtube.com/shorts/6Aq6KDARAfM?feature=share/[url]
Video probably does not work

KC7NOA

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2022, 11:10:33 AM »
https://youtube.com/shorts/6Aq6KDARAfM?feature=share

[url]https://youtube.com/shorts/6Aq6KDARAfM?feature=share/[url]

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2022, 12:30:36 PM »
At last our up and running with a small repair to do on the push rod, well done.

KC7NOA

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2022, 08:50:48 PM »
Does this sound normal?
Or mains/wrist needing replaced?

https://youtu.be/3QayhMV03cM

KC7NOA

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2022, 08:56:21 PM »
Should add ...

Replacing the pushrod was easy ... with valve up ... push valve down by hand .. while holding valve down push the pushrod off to one side, replace doing reverse order ... check lash and adjust if needed

My second cylinder was not firing from a fuel leak ...the compression nut at the injector/pipe/tube was loose ... letting fuel spray into oil .. turned almost 4 complete revolutions before it was tight ... seems like injector is ok

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2022, 10:04:15 PM »
Sounds like a typical air cooled diesel to me. All I hear is the diesel knock which is normal.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2022, 04:43:32 AM »
Sounds right to me for an air cooled diesel as well. So long as you have been through the engine and done all the servicing like oils and filters and checked the clearances for the valves which it appears you have done all is good to go with a good battery. In cold weather you can use the decompression levers to make it easier on the starter motor and engage one cylinder at a time. Plus there may be a cold start position on your throttle that you were using to rev and stop the engine. To engage pull it out and away from the engine and rotate it. Once the engine is running put it back to its normal running position. This just adds a bit extra fuel for cold start. Nice engine, enjoy it.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2022, 08:05:44 AM »
The air-cooled Listers we have on pumpsets at work are louder than that. I'd say it sounds normal

KC7NOA

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2022, 04:32:35 PM »
On to the probable next problem ... I think this gen head needs new bearings... the tag is very faded ... any ideas?

[img]https://imgur.com/NZGsQeo[img]
https://imgur.com/NZGsQeo
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 04:55:02 PM by KC7NOA »