Author Topic: SR2 starter replacement  (Read 13077 times)

KC7NOA

• View Profile
SR2 starter replacement
« on: January 29, 2022, 06:56:49 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has replaced a sr2 starter from ebay, like this one ..

Sold by dB electric
Giving a part number of SLU0034

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: SR2 starter replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 04:28:07 AM »
Cant see an image to say if it will or not not know what part of the world your at as Ebay is worldwide and numbers wont match up.

Best thing to do is to ask the Seller that way you are covered if he says it will fit your engine and it doesn't then he is responsible.

Have you tried to do a conversion from Lucas part number to after market stuff?
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 10:41:36 AM »
I can see the image:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=133970436456&_sacat=0

Yes from the picture, that looks to be what to be what your looking for.

However, be aware of the following:

1) Ensure the direction of rotation of the starter motor is correct, as Lister's definition of direction of rotation has caught many people over the years (NOTE! If your engine serial number has SR2A, the A indicates anti clockwise rotation)

2), You will need a spacer to go between the starter motor and bell housing, like so:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265239226729?hash=item3dc17d6969:g:evoAAOSwdjVg-bIX

This is for the HA series that use the Lucas CA45 starter motor, but the general shape is very similar to the SR engine.

3), Finaly confirm that the number of teeth on the bendix is correct.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 06:18:24 PM by listard-jp2 »

KC7NOA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 07:02:16 AM »
Looks like the tooth count is correct, but the cut on the leading edge -- the part that would hit the motor flywheel , are cut opposite than what the original is ...
When i get home ill be able to give some power to the new starter and verify rotation .. but i do not have high hopes that it is correct ...

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 10:28:36 AM »
So it sounds as if you have bought the starter motor and and now you havea concern about its direction of rotation. If it is wrong then a message to the Seller should be able to sort that out but you will have to freight the starter back to him at your cost, usually, but that is a small price to pay to get the right starter.
Do you think the Seller will have the adaptor as well?

KC7NOA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 01:09:00 PM »
I dont think it needs an adapter ...

Cone height is 1/2" Longer than original, and teeth are 1/4" longer

I did ask the Seller .. all he responded with was dimensions .. ignoring the question of CCW / CW rotation

KC7NOA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 04:52:03 PM »
Well just bugger ...

https://youtu.be/O6pROz0Br7w

Where to get correct rotation

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2022, 05:11:38 AM »
Your engine number will tell you what the rotation is as described by Listard JP-2. What he ahs stated is if you have a the letter "Z" in your engine number than you have an anti clockwise rotation.

Now if it is your starter motor that you are unsure of then doing that test in the video will confirm which direction the new starter is running. I am not sure if the rotation can be reversed or not. So the next step is to confirm your engine rotation and if that is the starter motor that you ordered and they sent the wrong one then it will be up to the Seller to fix the problem.

So make contact with the Seller if it was your mistake by not stating the correct rotation and work together on you wearing the cost of returning the starter motor to him and then he supply the correct one.
You are aware that eBay support both Buyers and Sellers if there is an issue and they will read all correspondence from the purchase time to any messages sent so they can resolve any problems. If you ahve made the mistake own up to it and then work towards resolving it. Or if the Seller made the mistake then contact him and let him know and ask what he can do to correct the problem first. If no reply or a negative one ask one more time but include that if this cannot be resolved he will get negative feedback and that eBay will be contacted about the problem. This might take a short time if you have to go down this track but it will be a good result in the end.

KC7NOA

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2022, 05:43:28 AM »
Soo, does it look like my original starter is CW or CCW?

https://youtu.be/C2gQmgkqCok

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2022, 10:18:44 AM »
Looking at the direction of rotation of the pinion gear on the original stater it is turning clockwise (CW).
With the new starterit was difficult to tell as an arm got in the way of seeing which way the gear was turning as it slowed down but feel it maybe anti-clockwise direction of rotation (CCW).
As I said not a clear view.
Now does your engine/serial number contain the letter "Z" ?
It sounds it would be very beneficial if you found a workshop manual for your engine and can find them on Google and there might be a thread on this Forum that can also direct you to one.  I forget how Lister establish their direction of travel, from the flywheel end, I think or the crank handle end opposite the flywheel.

KC7NOA

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2022, 12:17:32 PM »
This is the plate number
6354SR2A 23

KC7NOA

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2022, 05:53:39 PM »
I used one of my kids tires to help show the rotation

https://youtu.be/qAhAz9bxmOY

What do you think of that Heather Boyd

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 05:05:43 AM »
Listard-jp2 and I have told you already how to identify the rotation of your engine from the serial number so go back and read listard-jp2 reply then you will have your answer as to the correct rotation.
It appears that your new starter is rotating in a CCW direction when viewing the direction of the starter gear.
Now you need to double check from which end of the engine do Listers identify the rotational direction, from the flywheel end as I suspect or the opposite end.

Can you take a clear pic of the engine bay where the starter will fit so we know which side of the engine the starter fits onto?  Is there a crank handle dog on the opposite end of the flywheel? This will confirm direction of your engine quickly.

My SR2 is CW at the flywheel and there is no 'Z' in the engine number which means the crank handle is CCW

KC7NOA

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 10:37:26 AM »
https://i.imgur.com/Edi5bU7.jpg

I see no "Z" in this ... unless its between the A and 23 ...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 10:49:25 AM by KC7NOA »

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 03:35:53 PM »
I think some engines didn't have a Z, but rather had an A for anticlockwise, like his engine.  My clockwise rotation SR2 has no suffix letter