Author Topic: Import of Listeroids - Food for thought  (Read 2829 times)

keith71

• View Profile
Re: Import of Listeroids - Food for thought
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2022, 10:33:51 PM »
Hi VP, Nope not sure about anything. But what I was thinking is it is part of an engine. What is the difference between shipping a cylinder head and crankshaft from India OR a bare block that is about as ready to run as a crankshaft or any other single listeroid part that gets shipped here everyday. Maybe I am just not getting it,  How about this way. Say I have a genuine lister or a listeroid and the crankshaft broke and took a piece of the crankcase with it. I already own the engine before the ban, I cant get individual parts shipped for my engine? They dont have to know if it is furniture or an engine. It would be labeled engine part , not trying to fool anybody and get an engine shipped and calling it a table saw. Not hoping to sneak by all the you call morons there at the EPA.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 10:43:54 PM by keith71 »
12/2 Field Marshall
Jiangdong R170.

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2022, 11:07:32 PM »
keith71

We hope the best, and hope is the last thing to loss.

BR
VP
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2022, 02:11:51 AM »
I don't see any reason a bare crankcase would be an issue. Parts aren't an issue, it is assembled engines manufactured after the ban was put in place that are prohibited. Original English engines and listeroids that can be proven to have been manufactured before the ban(good luck with that) aren't a problem. I have brought over several originals from the UK and other than freight cost and filling paperwork had no issues. I have also had many parts shipments including a crank and had no issues. I have not brought anything in from India though and imagine CBP would likely scrutinize shipments from India a little closer than from the UK.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2022, 02:22:39 PM »
Correct Broncodriver, part of the confusion lies with people taking about US Customs, the EPA, Legal and "got away with it" like its all in the same when it is not.
US. Customs, not the EPA is in charge of what is allowed in this country, they enforce EPA regulations at the border only.

It is totally legal to import and operate ANY preban engine. It matters not who made it or where. It is also totally legal to import parts for a preban engine.(edit, AND install them and operate the engine) it is also legal to import parts for a post ban engine.  Since complete parts kits and air compressors baised upon these engines  have been imported ever since the ban on complete engines was instituted and none to my knowledge has been turned away then does it need to be debated? I don't think so?  However once said compressor or parts kit is here and some enterprising individual thinks about making something operational out of it he then needs to think about his purchase changing from legal to something else. 

What isn't defined to my knowledge is what defines an "engine" ? Obviously a complete running unit is an engine. What about one missing a part or two? What if half is missing? what if all you have is a tag??? Is the tag an engine?  I
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 07:06:31 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2022, 04:31:44 PM »
Gentles

Just for the record, whom known's my bussiness, im maritime law enforcemnt. therefore if a cargo manifest has something like engine parts (fire arms parts will be on 1000x magnifing glass) they will be scrutinyzed thourougly and sent to customs, as a 2nd filter (due to tax paying, or criminal court), but if they not fullfill EPA's regulations you will be enrouled on a maze to take your iron gems from burocracy, and you will end to pay a gold plate crank case or crank shaft, if it doesnt go to scrap, and scrap mouney go to gov.

just my 10cents! be aware!

BR
VP

PS: US Customs have a white list, and if you end up out of it, you are done!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 04:35:13 PM by sirpedrosa »
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).