Author Topic: Only those without a tractor will understand . . .  (Read 1786 times)

mikenash

• View Profile
Only those without a tractor will understand . . .
« on: January 18, 2022, 07:02:13 AM »
If you don't own a tractor or other means of lifting one of these heavy old girls - then we're probably on the same wavelength . . .

The one on the left has plagued me for the last year - issues with the bore, issues with a +40thou piston badly machined, issues with a cylinder stud . . . it had got to the stage where grass and weeds were growing up around its pad as I had no way to get it "off and out" and no way to get another one "in"

Then it came to me - I was looking at it all wrong: All that was needed was to drag the "new" CS - the one on the right - off the trailer and onto a pile of timber at the correct height - THEN all I had to do was weld in a couple of 500mm lengths of heavy channel to extend the RSJs of the original CS' mounts, and, voila!  Room for two engines lol

The "new" one (on the right) was sold to me as a "good runner, just not started for a few years" (and have I heard that phrase before)

But it feels like progress.  I managed to weld the sections in without setting fire to the diesel-soaked dead grass - that has to be a good omen lol

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Only those without a tractor will understand . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 04:25:04 PM »
Been there, done that!  However as I aged it became more apparent that I either needed to quit fooling with heavy objects or acquire a means to lift them, LOL
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 05:46:33 PM »
@mikenash
Had a similar problem in moving  my Dursley from one location to another about 500" away, up a hill, into a building and onto a 10" high concrete pad. No tractor here either. I lifted it with wedges until i was able to get it onto s couple of 4X4 wooden skids. Used 2" steel pipe as rollers and a 5' steel bar to move it along. Took me a couple of days and some patience, but eventually got it in place without damaging anything......especially me!
Long ago, I watched an old guy move a 4 ton lead keel casting. He had cast it in a hole in the ground. With wedges, rollers, and a long bar, he moved it out of the hole, then positioned it under the wooden sail boat he was building. He then wedged it up and bolted it in place. Took him a couple of days, but there was never a mishap and he never broke a sweat. A great lesson to me.
Cheers
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 05:07:52 AM »
Hi Hugh

Yes, in my work we are forever moving a heavy electric pump motor somewhere inside an ill-designed pump shed with crowbars, rollers and bad language.  A tractor with a front-end-loader would be good though lol.  Cheers

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 12:39:51 AM »
My 30hp John Deere wimps out at 800# on the front loader - no moving listeroids for me.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 07:58:41 AM »
Today levelled and welded-in-place a 500mm X 500mm X 20mm piece of plate where the motor is going to go.  Next time I'm up there we have the twin fun tasks of moving the beast across onto that and drilling 4 holes in the heavy plate.  Be easy-peasey with the come-along

Fig

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 11:50:59 PM »
I’m lucky. Got a Ford F-350 with a crane on it about 5 years ago. Wish I had bought one 20 years ago.

greg@dekeyzerlaw.com

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2022, 12:47:30 AM »
We got a John Deere 40 hp with a front e d loader about 14 years ago.  I have said a thousand times since that if I had known before what I was able to accomplish with the darn thing I would have bought one 20 years earlier.  I move everything on pallets, dirt, rocks, etc with front end loader.  Those without, I understand your pain.  I was there for 20 plus years.
Gregory D.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2022, 05:34:19 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0RKM9C2ZLU

Easy-peasey.  Up and running.  Have since taken the other CS off the stand and this one is now running where that one was sited.  Working on mounts and a belt-drive for the ST-clone head as we speak

Nothing that can't be done with blocks and wedges and a crowbar and a trailer.  But, yes, would be a lot easier with a loader lol