Puppeteer

Author Topic: LPW2 Build 902 change fixed to variable speed  (Read 1996 times)

Robert

• View Profile
LPW2 Build 902 change fixed to variable speed
« on: December 04, 2021, 08:50:39 PM »
I am a newbie to the forum. I already have a LPWS2 in my narrowboat which I love and am now rebuilding a LPW2 as a spare and out of interest. I now have it in bits with all the parts in labelled icecream cartons and it looks in good condition apart from needing a rebore as a ring has broken and gouged the cylinder. All journals and bearings look fine except for the big end bearings which i will replace. The engine was used to blow rockwool insulation into the cavity walls of houses and was mounted inside a truck

I am rebuilding 05000267 LPW2 A902 for my narrowboat. The nameplate says 9Kw 2000rpm so although it is an 02 build it is fixed speed.
I want convert it to variable speed.
I am happy with most of the alterations including weights, speeder spring, governor sleeve. 
According to my parts manual there are 3 different Governor Lever Assemblies for the LPW2 and the only one for an 02 build is 750-10182 together with thrust collar 751-12823 which is the one I've been offered for variable speed.
Does anyone know by any chance which Governor Lever Assembly and thrust collar I might have and whether I could alter it or will I need to purchase a new one.
Thank You. Robert

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: LPW2 Build 902 change fixed to variable speed
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 10:30:05 AM »
Hi Robert and welcome to the Forum. Sorry I cannot answer your question but soon enough someone will be able to give you the answer you need.
Since you are aware you need to buy spares maybe that supplier may be able to help you straight away or if you ever need to do the engine swap transfer those parts from the original engine to the new one.
I had the pleasure to spend a few nights on a narrow boat when I visited England many years ago and it was one of the highlights of the trip.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

Robert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 09:27:03 PM »
Thanks Cobbadog i’m glad you enjoyed our canals. I do plan to canabalise bits off my LPWS2 but I would like to trial run the LPW2 without taking the LPWS2 apart as the governor takes some setting up and is inaccessible once on the boat. I tried the company who took over Lister Petter but they say there is no record of my engine though they have given me a list of parts I will need. The problem is that they are an excellent spares company but don’t seem to have much contact with the manufacturing plant so I just wondered if any of your gang has experience.
A new governor arm will set me back around £150. Money I don’t want to spend if the one i’ve Got is useable

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 05:20:48 AM »
WOW, 150 quid? I thought that Ned Kelly, our infamous Bush Ranger only was still thieving from us here in Australia. He must have relatives nearby to you.
I can understand what you saying. There are members on this Forum who can help you out but not all of them log in on a regular basis. Hopefully one will do so very soon and help you out.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 09:12:45 PM »
Try roger Drennan, at Cotswold Diesel Engines.

He may have that part as a good used item. If so he will want a fraction of the price you have been quoted.

https://gb.kompass.com/c/cotswold-diesel-servicing/gb07710907/

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 10:06:42 PM »
I tried the company who took over Lister Petter but they say there is no record of my engine though they have given me a list of parts I will need. The problem is that they are an excellent spares company but don’t seem to have much contact with the manufacturing plant so I just wondered if any of your gang has experience.

They don't have contact with the manufacturer because it no longer exists. They bougt up parts when LP went belly up a d also bought a lot of what was inventoried here in the states. I know that they are sourcing at least part of the fast moving parts in India as I have had the oarts in my shop.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Robert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 03:51:36 PM »
Thanks for the info. I thought that Hawker Sleeman were still supplying complete engines from Hardwicke? Keith quoted me for a replacement LPWS2 engine. Maybe they just assemble engines whereas you mean manufacturing all the components.
My problem is that as the LPW is a spare I don't want to spend too much money on it. I don't blame Hawker Sleeman charging high prices for spares which they certainly do - I used to be in the business of supplying power station pumps lubricating oil pumps and their spares - but sometimes when its a hobby its good when you can source bits and pieces secondhand etc without breaking the bank. Its all a bit pointless if it cost too much
I will try Cotswold diesel. Thank you

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 10:17:18 PM »
I have no first hand knowledge of whats going on at Hardwicke. I do know that S-H reported in Manufacturing Today magazine that they had all of 20 employees at thier "manufacturing" plant at Hardwicke.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Robert

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 11:20:35 PM »
You’re probably correct but if S-H hadn’t taken it over there probably would be no new Lister engines at all. I don’t think that they claim to be anything that they’re not. End of an era (almost!) all best Robert

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 07:58:54 PM »
India sourced parts with the L/P packaging - standard procedure now.

On your LPW2, plenty of resources remain in Kansas. These were USA built for the USArmy and USAF MEP802 generating sets (and other applications). Most of these were contracted through Cummins/Onan and bear their Onan nameplates and valve cover castings. ALL built in Olathe Kansas. Diesel Electric continues to supply these parts resources, and continues to rebuild these engines. Governors differ between military and civilian types. Contact me if you need to equip yours. Gary - gsj@gci.net

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Robert

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 05:07:12 PM »
Thanks dieselgman. Do you think the governor arm for the fixed speed I have will be any use with the variable speed weights etc I need for variable speed or will I need a complete new arm?

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2022, 08:54:00 AM »
The 902 build number tells you there is something slightly different about it. It is basically an 02 build but the 9 tells you that there has been some slight changes. If you are looking to build your engine and make it suitable for a narrowroot I would build it as a build 45. If you have access to a parts list you should be able to find all the part numbers there