Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister SL2 governor?  (Read 1541 times)

stevo42

• View Profile
Lister SL2 governor?
« on: January 08, 2022, 11:55:54 PM »
My SL2 is belt driving a 5KW ST generator that wont hold cycles at 60. It doesn't fluctuate a lot. My belts could be a little tighter but I believe they are fine. I used some belt dressing and gave it a try, but no change so, as had been suggested, it might be a governor problem. I really cant hear any RPM change as I adjust the speed but it doesn't seem to take much to effect the cycles.  When I run my SL1 with the "Northern" generator the cycles are nice and steady.  Any help would be appreciated.  Steve

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: Lister SL2 governor?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 10:13:21 AM »
Have you looked at the governors' workings as yet? Do you have a workshop manual to help you go through the steps of checking it and setting it correctly. You may simply have a stuk weight or similar.
As for the generator do you think the problem might be there? I know nothing about gensets  but there are some very clever members in the generator section. Maybe start a thread there as well or bring this thread to their attention with a link here.
Are all the basic things in good working order? Air, fuel and oil filters all good and clean.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 11:43:47 AM »
I think its time to pull the front cover off and check for wear in the pivots and also whether you have the correct governor springs. For 1700 to 1800 rpm the governor springs have red paint marks on them. The speeder spring should also have a red paint mark on it.

stevo42

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 02:58:01 PM »
oldgoat, thanks for that. I'll get the manual and have a look where those components are found. If it's beyond my mechanical abilities, I have a friend that's good with engines. I must admit, although I retired from running boats, there was usually an engineer to deal with major problems.  Thanks again, Steve

stevo42

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 09:59:37 PM »
cobbadog

I haven't looked "inside" yet which I would do if I didn't have a friend coming over Saturday who's a good diesel mechanic.  He's also knowledgeable on generators so I think I'll just wait and have him take a look. I do have a "SL/LD 1,2 & 3"shop manual also a nice "ST range" manual with great pictures, that someone gave me years ago. I wonder how simaler the governors are in these small older Listers.  I have also gotten some good advice on what to look for from "oldgoat". As to the problem of fluctuating volts AND cycles, what has been told to me by a couple folks here, is "both" fluctuating would point to engine RPM not holding steady. The belts aren't slipping which most likely means the governor is not governing. I did consult the kind folks over in the "generator" forum.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 10:53:38 PM »
Well done on being patient and asking as many questions over a wide area to get the best result. Like so many things with these old engines it nearly always turns out to be something so simple and stuck because it has been sitting too long or a loose connection.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 04:37:56 AM »
Well done on being patient and asking as many questions over a wide area to get the best result. Like so many things with these old engines it nearly always turns out to be something so simple and stuck because it has been sitting too long or a loose connection.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 01:33:49 AM »
The  Hz drop you talked about on your other post is on the order off 10% which even to an untrained ear would be a very noticeable drop in engine RPM I should think? A photo tachometer is very cheap at Harbor Freight or similar stores. I believe if it were it me Id do some diagnostics prior to dissasembling.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 07:47:23 PM »
Does your unit have the correct governor weights installed? Many variations exist... fixed 1500 or 1800 rpm weights will be the heavier ones and usually equipped with 2 governor springs.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

stevo42

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 09:51:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I have to admit it was the "belts". We tighten them up and WALA, she keeps the cycles when a load is added.  ;D