Author Topic: Any intrest in Lister engines for sale  (Read 2009 times)

emailmeed

• View Profile
Any intrest in Lister engines for sale
« on: December 05, 2021, 03:34:28 PM »
I came across a guy selling out his business of pumping out fuel spills so he can retire. Its in New Hampshire and has a lot of older stuff in general but he also has 4 lister engines. I don't know all the model numbers but most are single cylinder.  The other problem or issues is he selling them as a complete unit and most are attached to a pump and some are on holding tanks.  They look like the SR models but one is a twin cylinder and is big. The big one has similar valve covers as the SR but it is much taller and thicker with all the intake and starter on opposite side as the SR.  Any one interested in this? Hopefully the picture attached,  this picture is similar to 3 listers he has not counting the big one

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Any intrest in Lister engines for sale
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 10:47:23 AM »
 The smaller engines could be LD, SL, the larger engine c ould be an HR or several others hard to say. Any of those air cooled Lister models are much higher quality than any air cooled China/India engine but the market is unfortunately small for them and will be much smaller yet with having to buy the driven equipment and tanks to get the engine. wish him luck with it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 10:48:59 AM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

emailmeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 12:49:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply. From what I read on this website forum it sounds like Lister engines had a good market / following at one time. So what changed it, the foreign competition or federal regulations?

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 01:00:26 PM »
Yes the small diesel market has cooled considerably from the peak. The fact that Lister Petter is no more doesn't help resale, neither does the fact the holder of most factory parts thinks they are made of gold. Cheap solar certainly cut into the diesel market. I think another factor is people have gradualy found out that the everlasting engine lore attached to Lister engines is mostly that, lore, especially when operated LOTS of hours,.  Certain Lister engines remain quite marketable. The CS series in particular.  Those air cooled engine pictured can be had around here for $4-500 in good running order and in Europe for the price of scrap. There is also the purchase cost/ operating cost factor for a less than 10HP power plant. Its just plain cheaper to buy and operate a Honda gasoline engine.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 01:09:56 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 06:21:09 PM »
Yes the small diesel market has cooled considerably from the peak. The fact that Lister Petter is no more doesn't help resale, neither does the fact the holder of most factory parts thinks they are made of gold. Cheap solar certainly cut into the diesel market. I think another factor is people have gradualy found out that the everlasting engine lore attached to Lister engines is mostly that, lore, especially when operated LOTS of hours,.  Certain Lister engines remain quite marketable. The CS series in particular.  Those air cooled engine pictured can be had around here for $4-500 in good running order and in Europe for the price of scrap. There is also the purchase cost/ operating cost factor for a less than 10HP power plant. Its just plain cheaper to buy and operate a Honda gasoline engine.

Also it has been my experience here that the build quality of the many Chinese Honda clones is acceptable or better.  You can get a decade's casual use from a $400 generator.  Even if you ran it a lot and replaced it every year with a new one - and probably still get $100 for the old one - used as a back-up to solar, they are a no-brainer.  You no longer have to buy a "Honda" unless you actually want one, imho

KC7NOA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 02:07:58 PM »
I think there is always interest ...

shipping is painful