Lister Engines > Lister Based Generators

ST2 starter battery replacement

<< < (2/2)

ChrisW:
Thanks for the replies. Since the genset is used to power my off grid cabin that I don't use too often, usually a week every month or two, the battery is really not getting much use. I had good results during the summer keeping the battery topped off with a 20 watt solar, (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y5TKMZ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1) but it didn't do it in the winter when left without running for a month or two. There could be a leak, which I will solve with a kill switch, but I  think the location of the solar panel is the main issue and I can't really get full sun at this time of year within 30 feet of the genset.....
I was just up at the cabin and took the panel of the electric side of the genset and discovered a 12 v charger built in! I guess this acts like an alternator? I installed a new Optima red top battery which I discovered came at only 12.38 volts. I switched the charger to high and ran for a couple hours per day. It did not bring the voltage up to 12.8 as it should be so might be the battery (which I've already replaced) or maybe the charger...
BTW the old battery was pretty small and only like 500 cca so I think it just drained itself in the winter trying to turn the engine over, which it did once, but then never again...after that the battery voltage dropped to below 10 and I couldn't revive it....supposedly Optima can be drained to almost nothing and revived.

BruceM:
I"d fix the solar charger problem, myself.  Some direct burial 12-3 gives you 4 conductors for your run to a post where you can get some sun.  I would go at least 40W; panel output will less than advertised.  I say this because it will extend battery life greatly.

AGM batteries won't tolerate being run flat. Not even the Optima yellow top "deep cycle". If you get back 50% of the battery capacity you'll be lucky, just like wet lead batteries.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version