How to / DIY > Engines

Lister LT1

<< < (2/5) > >>

Welderherup:
So I pulled her out and cleaned the board. The board was covered with wax to keep it dry and the two offending articles seem to have perished because the wax came off. They have an alloy skin which shows corrosion and so I think it’s been like this a while. One is worse than the other. I suspect the alloy skin has actually broken on one but if so it’s extremely small hole. I can’t see it clearly with my eye.

Any thoughts? What is this board? What are the damaged components? Is this easily replaced? Would it account for my voltage issue? There are two components with adjustable dials in them. What are those?

I would really like to keep this instead of buying a new one but I have to be able to rely on it.
 I can’t load the photos at full res so I’ve had to do them on low.
Thanks I’m advance.

mobile_bob:
in my opinion it is a voltage regulator board
and while there might be a replacement, i would be surprised.

you need to remove the board from the unit, unplug the wires, noting where they go.

get some pictures of the back side of the board as well as some high resolution pictures of the component side, and send them to me via email

and we might be able to reverse engineer the board and determine the values of those two capacitors. they died of old age.

and yes their death would have an adverse affect on voltage regulation.

meanwhile do a search for a service manual for your unit, or one close to your unit, preferably one that is within the s/n range of yours would be best. often times the service manual will have a schematic for the boards used, and with that life gets much easier.

failing all else one and after reverse engineering the board, drawing up a schematic one might get close with a guess as to the typical values used for a regulator.  if they are simply capacitors used to filter rectified current to provide for the board to regulate, then  we might be able to refer to other similar types of regulators and look to see what they used.

usually capacitors are not critical in value, other than meeting a minimum voltage rating, so you err on the higher side for voltage.

look at this as an adventure

bob g

Welderherup:
Thanks Bob. I will take off the board and take better photos of front and reverse. I’ve looked for a manual but didn’t find a free one. I didn’t want to buy one unless I knew it was the correct one.

Welderherup:
I bought this book ‘home generator’ and hope to learn the basics of generators. Are there any others that you would suggest or any other things that you could suggest so that I may get to a basic level of knowledge? I have no qualifications but I’m An ex sidecar racer and so enjoy engineering in general. I’ve got a lathe and a half decent workshop but of all things electronics are my weak spot. Perhaps I shall remedy that in the fixing my genny. Maybe being able to fix mine when it breaks is more valuable than having one that doesn’t break down at all.

cobbadog:
I am with you with the electronic department, it is all something very different and tricky to get my head around. At least you are prepared to have a go at the repair with guidance. Bob should be able to help you the most and to have the ability to reverse engineer electronics is something made of nightmares in my book and comes easy to others.
I would do my best to resurrect this generator and board as the new ones are not as well designed and built to last. I look forward to following this repair and outcome, good luck with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version