Puppeteer

Author Topic: Petter PC1 Engine in a Crawley 75 Tractor  (Read 3230 times)

biggurn

• View Profile
Petter PC1 Engine in a Crawley 75 Tractor
« on: October 13, 2021, 08:13:19 PM »
I am new here and recently acquired a Crawley 75 tractor that is powered by a Petter PC1 diesel engine. Unfortunately, the injector was removed by a previous owner and lost to time. The piston is currently out, and needs rings. I understand that rings from a PAZ1 will work?

Does anyone here know of an alternative injector that will work/be close for a PC1? Or perhaps of a used injector available for this engine?

Thank you!
Collector of vintage iron.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Petter PC1 Engine in a Crawley 75 Tractor
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 08:46:35 PM »
sorry i can't help with the parts problem, but dang that is one cool little tractor!
and the rubber looks great!

so many old small tractors that survive around here have rubber that is so cracked and weather checked it is amazing that air isn't forced in from the outside.

good luck getting the old girl up and running again.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

biggurn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 09:29:41 PM »
sorry i can't help with the parts problem, but dang that is one cool little tractor!
and the rubber looks great!

so many old small tractors that survive around here have rubber that is so cracked and weather checked it is amazing that air isn't forced in from the outside.

good luck getting the old girl up and running again.

bob g

One of the previous owners added new rubber to make it easy to move about. Then, it's been stored inside ever after.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 09:38:07 PM »
Having had a bit to do with Petter PC engines, I can confirm that a PAZ1 injector holder will not be suitable. Early PAZ1 injectors are clamped in position with a bridge piece (much like a Lister CS). Later ones dispense with the bridge piece, but are still not suitable as the high pressure fuel connection is at a compound angle to the vertical axis of the piston. Hence if you tried a complete injector assembly from a PAZ1 engine in a PC1. there would be a good chance that the injector spray pattern would be wrong as it would not entirely line up with the combustion chamber in the PC piston crown.

IMHO you would be better to use a Bryce injector holder from a Petter PH or PJ engine, as they look very similar to the correct PC injector holder. Do you have the injector shroud or is that also missing? Both of these items are easily found on the likes of Ebay etc.
If so you may be able to use the same item from a PH engine, though you may need to modify it somewhat.

IIRC The injector shroud on a PC engine was turned out of copper bar, and was a real work of art.

The injector nozzle from either a Petter AV, or PH may be a better choice, as the combustion chamber design is similar to the PC engine (valve cutouts), whereas the PAZ1 combustion chamber has no valve cutouts in the piston crown.

Finally I suggest that you contact Jim Perkins, as he has a website for Petter engines, and may be able to help you with a source of parts.

I do have some used PC parts myself (no injectors or injector shrouds) from a PC2 I rescued from a scrapyard just for the electric start parts, and which I am now looking to move on, as I have no further need for these parts.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 08:22:30 AM by listard-jp2 »

biggurn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 08:06:14 PM »
Thank you for the information. I have reached out to Mr. Perkins, but have had no response after several attempts.

I really appreciate the insight and information you have provided as that will give me some options of what to look for. I unfortunately, the entire injector and shroud are missing. I'll have to order an aluminum unit to use with my engine and machine it to fit.

Too bad your parts engine was short the injector parts!

biggurn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 08:13:43 PM »
It appears I can buy a complete injector assembly for a PH/AV here in the states for an affordable price. Once I get the engine in the shop and figure out what all I need, I'll add it to my list! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Injector-For-Petter-318862-130S26C175P3-PH-HL-PHW-AV-AVA-/153544769353?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 01:20:50 PM »
/\ I would put money on that been an Indian produced item (the Bryce Berger company ceased to exist when Delphi took them over). If your interested I could supply you with a used Bryce injector holder from a Petter PH for less that that.

Having looked into this further myself, I can confirm that injector holder will fit (you may have to increase the length of the injector holding down studs).

However, the injector shroud from a PH will be no good, this item you will have to make from bar stock (either copper or aluminium.

PM me with your email address and if my memory serves me correct we can discuss in more detail what the injector shroud should look like.

biggurn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 06:22:07 PM »
I'll send you a message. Making one from aluminum should be too hard as I have a lathe. I'll just need to know dimensions. I'm missing everything, so I'll need nozzle and all.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2021, 07:30:19 PM »
If you are still looking for a an jector for your PC1 engine, here is one on ebay UK at present:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284564971770

biggurn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2022, 10:57:04 PM »
Thank you! It has been purchased and is on the way! Just a few more pieces and I can start trying to get this engine assembled and running.

biggurn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2023, 05:24:39 AM »
I am missing the connecting rod cap for this engine, as well as the bearing... anyone have an extra connecting rod or a source for something that will work? ( something with a 2" crank pin and 3" stroke). I also need a piston, as mine is cracked

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 12:33:20 AM by biggurn »

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2023, 09:57:11 AM »
See this item presently on ebay UK:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204079733590

Only problem is the piston is +0.030" oversize.

Also PM me as I have a used complete connecting rod.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2023, 09:08:36 AM »
^ Update, I looked out the PC con rod yesterday.
Its in good condition, and even comes with fair condition STD piston and rings. Piston rings may be good to go again if carefully cleaned up, as I tried them in a Petter AC1 cylinder barrel (also 3" bore) and the ring gaps looked acceptable.

The con rod also has a set of big end shells which are also in reasonable condition. Only problem is they are -0.010" undersize. Let me know if your interested via PM.

biggurn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2023, 04:18:00 PM »
^ Update, I looked out the PC con rod yesterday.
Its in good condition, and even comes with fair condition STD piston and rings. Piston rings may be good to go again if carefully cleaned up, as I tried them in a Petter AC1 cylinder barrel (also 3" bore) and the ring gaps looked acceptable.

The con rod also has a set of big end shells which are also in reasonable condition. Only problem is they are -0.010" undersize. Let me know if your interested via PM.

I sent you a PM. Thanks for keeping an eye out for me!

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2023, 08:25:46 PM »
Replied via PM.