Lister Engines > Original Lister Cs Engines

rpm limit

<< < (3/3)

BruceM:
Good idea, Mike. There are some $55 diesel generator engine monitors on ebay, one at least that senses rpm down to 300.  You'd likely need a hall effect sensor and a magnet or 4 for the tach sensing.   I have zero experience with them.  Chinesium devices can be difficult as documentation is non-existent or unfathomable.  The issues would be how to power it without screwing up the SOM start/stop circuitry, and matching their tach input requirements, plus programming it.  I'll try to help if that's the way John wants to go. 

vegoil:
Hello,

I have ordered one of each 24volt and 230volt controller shut dawn device I will try one on the 230 volt If that don't work I will put the 24volt one on the exhaust lifter solenoid that closes the pump rack at the same time. I believe this would be the easiest to retro fit.

this is a photo of what I have ordered

BruceM:
Seems you've done some good research and have a good plan, John.  Let me know if you need a hand.

One issue I've run into with ST generator heads is that the waveform distortions are bad enough to confuse most inexpensive (edit) non-RMS voltage/frequency monitors, particularly on AC frequency.  I solved that by switching to a Siemens RMS voltage monitoring relay, which has been problem free.  I recall that Siemens also makes a voltage monitor that runs on 24VDC, but can monitor 230VAC.  They are spendy but are available in a wide range of models.  So that's a possibility to look into if you have difficulty with the one you found.

vegoil:
Thanks for the help. it will be about 3 weeks before it's delivered I will let you know how I get on.

Regards

John

BruceM:
The Siemens product I've used before is a SIRIUS 3UG4 monitoring relay.
They are 24V AC or DC powered, will monitor AC or DC voltages or frequency (down to lister CS/SOM rpm speed) depending on the model.  I don't know the current prices, but they are likely a few hundred new. 

Just passing this on, sorry I forgot the details before.  I used this on my neighbors DES CS clone 8/1 setup, to protect the well pump, etc., from under or overvoltage in case of slipping belt or AVR failure.  I found it used on ebay.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version