Author Topic: Listeroid concrete base--in progress  (Read 15299 times)

Twinscrew

• View Profile
Re: Listeroid concrete base--in progress
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 12:43:19 PM »
Very nice work Hotater. Did you buy your Artesian well in Artesia?  ;D  Sorry, couldn't help myself.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2006, 05:45:13 PM »
Twinscrew-- There is an Artesia, Idaho near some big flowing wells....chicken?   or egg?

Update---

After laboring much more than I'm accoustomed to, or have much interest in repeating, the new Jkson-Power Solutions Kit engine went into full time service the afternoon of December first.  The concrete base is truly amazing.  There is NO movement and the only vibration that's felt is the cam and four tappets operating.

The drip pan was a wonderful idea.  Between coolant drips and mistakes and a dripping oil pump line the drip pan has already proved it's value.  I  WISH I'd put a drain in when it was easy!

I'll be posting more pictures soon.  It's working full time but construction clutter precludes photos.   ;)
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 01:01:12 AM »
  OK, I give up. Tried following the plumbing from picture to picture but I keep getting lost.

What does the green tank with the long neck do? Heat the fuel?

I'm guessing that with the hotspring you never have to start a cold engine? Nice.

Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 01:44:42 AM »
Bill--  I've been trying all day to get a decent picture of that mess.

Try this one-

The exit 'hot' water from the cylinder head is inch and a half galvanized at top.  the flow is to the left and outside into the top of the radiator.

The inch and a quarter galvanized at the bottom is Teed into the propane tank coolant tank that adds ten gallons to what would be a fizve gallon system.  The radiator holds four gallons and the engine holds one.

The stand pipe coming up the side is a 'sight glass' to show coolant level.  The top of the sight glass Tees into the top 'vent' tube that catches bubbles coming from the engine and diverts them away from the radiator.

The head has a 195 degree t'stat installed.  It takes twenty minutes under load to cause hot water to travel up the exit pipe, but in five minutes of operating temperature the entire pipe is hot.  After about three hours of running the bottom 'entrance' pipe shows 85 degrees.  This return water seems to equally split at the Tee and some travels into the storage tank.
 After ten hours of running the return pipe is 100 to 110 at the engine and the storage tank will be from 100 to 160 depending on level.  The top of the filler neck is hottest right where the overflow is.

The radiator stays about 170 at the top and 120 at the bottom.  This is with mid twenties air temperature, but no wind.

Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 02:11:31 AM »
Jack;
That is one very nice engine room. I've been reading your posts over the years and between what you know / learned and your determination / energy, you have done great!
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 02:39:11 AM »
Hi I've been looking at your cooling system.
I don't believe I under stand what the green tank is doing down low on the setup?
I believe I would put it up above everything else as a reserve, in case of leaks.
Your system seems overly complex.
But then everybody has opinions, huh!
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 03:01:39 AM »
Dennis---

The green tank has eight gallons above the engine inlet as a reserve.  It could have been more, but I wanted a 'sump' in the cooling system to catch any rust flakes from the old radiator.  There's another one with a magnet just below the engine intake.

It is complex, but it's VISIBLE.  I thought anti-freeze was darker than the stuff I bought, but theres $70 worth of it in there and I'm not changing now.   ;)   I like the sight glass arrangement to see the coolant level at a glance.  The same with the fuel 'gage' with sight tubes inside and out.  I generally look in on any engine that's running two or three times a day and it's nice to take it all in with a sweep.

Notice also that I put cut-off valves and drains on everything.  Time saved is more time for fishing.   ;)

A more complicated arrangement is easier and safer when nothing moves or vibrates, too.   :-X

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2006, 03:09:02 AM »
Hi I do have a question about the 1/2" black pipe in this view. Is this a heater for fuel or lube oil?
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2765936030028237237bVdxdT

Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2006, 03:20:00 AM »
The bottom is fuel supply and the top is fuel return.
 I raised the return because it goes into the line upstream from the cut-off so has to be higher than fuel level to be disconnected.  The sight glass for fuel is on the left edge of the light metal plate.

You can see the bottom of the fuel filter/separator peeking from under the exhaust pipe.

biobill

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2006, 04:07:27 AM »
Now I get it. I was thinking that the 1/2" iron was headed to the tank. Any problems with fuel gelling? How about the heated concrete, does it warm the engine too?
                                         Bill
Off grid since 1990

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2006, 04:40:51 AM »
Jack;
Your cooling system reminded me about my home heat "boiler".
I have a hydronic heat system that uses a sectional header boiler to heat water to 180 degrees, and it looks similar to your iron radiator.
Last year I put a magnesium anode in it. I used an inexpensive magnesium pencil anode that screws into a 3/4 inch pipe plug that has been drilled and tapped. I just replaced the boiler drain valve with it, and the anode stuck a few inches into the water return pipe.
This winter while doing the pre-startup cleaning etc, I pulled the anode to see if it was working. Boy and How! It had corrosion pits all over, indicating that it was doing it's job.
Before installing the anode, when I vented the radiators, the escaping air smelled like corroded metal, now it 'smells clean'.
You might want to consider adding a magnesium anode to your cooling loop, I'm going to add one to mine!
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2006, 04:52:37 AM »
Bill--

I treated both new fuel tanks pretty heavy with 911 sauce and additives so haven't had a gelling problem at all.

I've only had sub zero temps for three of the ten nights MT-II has been in service.  I don't have the water running through the mount', yet.  The room is heated by those rusty square heating radiators along the wall.  There's 40 feet of them total with another 40 to install.  With outside temps at minus 4 F the inside is still 50 and the engine starts right up.

The old engine was in a narrow part of the building and next to an open wall. It could get into the mid twenties on really cold, windy nights...but it usually ran all night on those nights so I didn't worry about it.  

Good tip, Scott.  Where do you find them?

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2006, 05:25:38 AM »
Jack;
Try Grainger P/N 1AYC2 they are used in hot water tanks to inhibit corrosion, and are safe in drinking water. They have a picture on thier site.
They leave a very thin brown protective coating on the engine parts. We use them at work.
The anode has a small daimeter threaded steel rod in it that holds it in the plug. One should last years in a closed loop cooling system of your size.
I got mine from Harbor Supply in Seattle, they provide anodes for the ships etc.
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12

biobill

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2006, 11:39:43 AM »
Jack
  I'm sure many of us are curious. What became of the FuKing? Was it retired because it needed to be, or to make room for the new engine? You've got to have lots of hrs on it, how did it hold up?
                                                             Bill
Off grid since 1990

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2006, 06:40:31 PM »
Magic Throb-I is still in place but empty of water and oil. 

It'll be moved back into a crowded corner and be totally rebuilt from the ground up.  My 15Kw Onan will occupy that space but it's going to be several days of sinking dead-man anchors and hand winching the Onan off the trailer and down the hill up another and into the building.

Right now (12-17) the heat supply pipes are frozen again and I'm trying to get heat back to the building before it REALLY gets cold.

Minus 5F the last two nights.