Author Topic: Listeroid concrete base--in progress  (Read 15309 times)

hotater

• View Profile
Listeroid concrete base--in progress
« on: August 19, 2006, 05:02:59 PM »
Sorry to start a new thread but this one is more to show the pictures.

I've posted a few at --http://community.webshots.com/photo/2895406460028237237xekcGu

That's were they start, anyhow.

The best place to mount my engine is very near the well head.  As can be seen by the pictures I ran into a LOT of problems digging a hole.   The well head end is at least eight feet thick. I broke off the overhang of the well plug and probed as far as eight feet down and found nothing but a shaft of concrete.   It's said to be 12 yards!
   I tied in re-bar in drilled holes in this plug and used a concrete binder goo to help bond the new to the old.

As it turned out the engine base is 2700 pounds of dry weight QuickCrete and it'll take a hundred pounds of grout to finish it.
I'll let it sit for a week or more and work on the engine and fuel/cooling and muffler for a while.  I'm READY for a rest!!
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Geno

• View Profile
Re: Listeroid concrete base--in progress
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 11:54:12 PM »
Just reviewed the pics. A rest to say the least. Thats one hell of a mount.
In the last pic your say your leaving room for grout. Apparently your not mounting the engine directly to the frame shown in the pic, or am I missing something?

Thanks, Geno
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 11:59:33 PM by Geno »

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 03:06:05 AM »
Geno---

The engine will mount directly on the frame, but the top couple of inches of the frame will be grouted in.  When I pour the grout the 1/2" threaded holes will have bolts in them with plastic thread protectors on the bottom so I have bolt clearance under the holes.  The grout will be poured around the 3/4" mounting bolts, too.
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 10:17:33 AM »
I got it. Its just different in that the frame is in the concrete and grout not on it.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 03:19:25 PM »
Exactly right.   I decided to make steel a part of the concrete foundation and then more steel or wood or a bare engine could be bolted to it  OR something could be welded to it, if needed.

bat outta hell

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 05:21:23 PM »
Hotater
You must have unruley beast. my 6.5 Metro sets on two 6 by 6 on top of the ground . can set a cup of coffe on top of it and set there.Two feet from it you can't feel it. Now my 10/1 is another story at 1,000rpm you canfeel it 40 feet away. But at 750 rpm it runs smooth.and it will fully load a 5,000 generator

bat

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 06:05:22 PM »
Cranking my engine while sitting on two 6x6s would mean it took the crank handle with it when it left!!!
   ONE revolution would have been the beginning of a terrible wreck.
I'm wondering if mine would break that coffee cup from acceleration or from it falling back to earth.....  ???

I'm CONVINCED the instructions given by Lister for mounting these engines were not to make them 'unhandy to move around'.  The one ton of concrete specified and emphatic instructions for stress-free, but absolutely stable mount  (shims and grout) was for re-inforcement of the crankcase to make the crankshaft rotate without ANY flex or vibration.  When you compare the moving weight of piston and rod and the massive weights swinging on the ends to the relatively light weight crankcase on a narrow footing, it NEEDS something to deaden the bearing wrecking vibration.
  I  think that goes for the smooth runners as well as the joggers.

I now HAVE a foundation, but primarily because the owners of the property believe as I do....there IS a Lister-driven generator in this property's future for a LONG time to come.  It's a sensible and economic solution to a very expensive problem.

bat outta hell

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 06:29:35 PM »
hotater

My 10/1 is about like that. It's on 4 by 8 I beam 1/4 in web on top of two 8 in square locust post 10 foot long buried in the ground and still vibrates 30 feet from it . I've changed pulleys on it and derated it to 7 1/2 hp runs smooth now.
bat

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 10:30:45 PM »
hey hotater:

is it hard yet  :)
had to ask!

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 11:01:48 PM »
OH!!  Got me confused a minute and didn't know what thread I was reading.  I've been peeking inside this new PS-Jkson short block.

YES, it's hard and standing up ready to do business.

The foundation is nearly ready for the grout, too.

Halfnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 11:14:54 PM »
Hmmm...so THAT'S what you meant when you were talking about _mounting_ your Listeroid in the shed!  You live too far from town!   ;)
I guess we all love our Listeroids in different ways.

Halfnuts
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 11:48:12 PM by Halfnuts »

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 02:56:17 AM »
The new engine mount is complete and done but the hardening process.  More pictures posted at

http://community.webshots.com/photo/2895406460028237237xekcGu

THAT is a BIG job for one guy.  (Too big)    The total in masonry materials was 2905 pounds.....to be loaded at the store, unloaded at home, loaded into the mixer, and then shoveled back out.

You'll notice some copper pipe....that's hot water from the well that circulates just through the grout.  There's more in the heart of the block that should, according to calculations, keep the block about 85 degrees year round.

The top of the angle iron is 12 inches from the floor and level both ways.

There're  copper groundstrap silversoldered to the bottom of the frame rail braces and bolted to a copper ground rod driven next to the well casing six feet below the bottom of the engine foundation.  It's dang sure GROUNDED!

I sure hope I didn't forget something......

Yes,  I've measured the bolt spacings NINE ways.  They're right.   ;D

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 03:20:57 AM »
hey!

can you move that over just an inch!!!!

hahaha

good job

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 11:31:01 AM »
Thats nice.

You'll notice some copper pipe....that's hot water from the well that circulates just through the grout.  There's more in the heart of the block that should, according to calculations, keep the block about 85 degrees year round.

Its amazing the uses one can find for hot water when it just flows out of the ground!

Thanks, Geno

Doug

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 04:01:52 AM »
I'd kill for hot water out of the ground. The other nigt at work I was repairing a drill at 7810 level of the mine where I work. I just wanted to rinse my hands so I open a header on a water line feeding th drill " coolant " water it must have been over 110 deg. Nice hot water, sweating like a pig three rounds away form the gates of hell digging for shiny rocks.... But if there was away to pipe that up to my house I'd never bitch about the heat in the deap again.

Doug