Puppeteer

Author Topic: E5 or E10 for a Lister D  (Read 1072 times)

ajcooper4

• View Profile
E5 or E10 for a Lister D
« on: September 12, 2021, 12:06:48 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place for this question but...now that we are being encouraged to use 'cleaner' petrol I am wondering whether my Lister D will notice the difference between E5 and E10. My instinct is to buy the higher octane E5 but happy to hear your views.

Many thanks.

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: E5 or E10 for a Lister D
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 12:39:15 PM »
G'day AJ,
Thankfully we dont have E5 here in Oz and I wont ever use E10 except to start a fire. With these new fuels they will quite possibly run these old engines with a little bit of fine tuning to compensate for the lesser octane but beware even with a Premium fuel there are no upper cylinder lubricants so I suggest to add some. Valve seats mill thank you for using the lubricant and will extand the life of them too.
Here they tried using E10 in the V8 race cars for a few seasons but have noticed that has been canned for a higher octane rated fuel as they had to burn far more extra fuel to maintain the HP of the engines. So while the Governments and Green tree huggers insist you go with the Ethanol based fuels you will be burning more fuel for the same outcome so dont feel it will save you money in fuel costs as it just does not meet the grade of performance.
Would be interested in hearing back if you do try it and see how you feel about it.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.