Author Topic: Need help with generator head  (Read 1749 times)

Mtour

• View Profile
Need help with generator head
« on: September 08, 2021, 12:18:46 AM »
 Just picked up this Lister 6/1 generator setup, anyone have any ideas how to get this generator to output power or test. Not sure if it is missing a dog house and parts needed to output power. Could not find any info on the web, looks similar to a two stator kato gen head. There is also no place on the crankshaft for a starter handle, so I am guessing this generator head also acts like a starter also..

thanks..
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 12:49:00 AM by Mtour »

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Need help with generator head
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 12:33:57 AM »
Hi, I am not familiar with that brand but usually, (stress usually) that style head will be brushless and internally regulated and outside of burnt windings little goes wrong with them but when left to sit for a very long time they will lose the residual magnatism they need to power up which can be restored with an ordinary electric drill. If you know how to wire it for 110 output temporary a receptical. Plug a drill in pull the trigger and spin it backwards. Some report results spinning with fingers but I've had better luck with two drills. One plugged in to the generator and spin it with another drill via a rod chucked in both. it can also be done with a 12v battery but somebody better schooled than me will have to tell you how to do it that way. They also have to be nearly up to speed to start generating,, half speed won't do it.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Mtour

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 12:40:09 PM »
 Thanks for the reply ac38..

That would be great if the generator is complete, I will try the reverse drill trick. There are five wires coming from the 120v  head, one is marked with black tape.  I am guessing two of the three large wires would be neutral and L1 and the other could be used for a starter winding, the two small wires could be for battery charging.

I will post some pics of the brushes..

Thanks

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 03:10:12 PM »
i would start with cleaning the commutator and brushes
the ones in the picture look pretty oxidized, and it doesn't take much to cause problems

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 04:00:37 PM »
i would start with cleaning the commutator and brushes
the ones in the picture look pretty oxidized, and it doesn't take much to cause problems

bob g

Good grief I didn't even notice the last picture with brushes. Guess I am not very attentive today!
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Mtour

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 07:06:35 PM »
  yup outside collimator was nice and green, cleaned all the electrical connections and the collimators with steel wool.
 Was able to spin the generator up to 700rpm with a drill, the larger wires were putting out 4vac and the small two at 2vac.

Mtour

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 09:24:31 PM »

Was able to get 22vac at 600rpm with applying 22vdc to the two small wires going to the exciter. Applied 12dc to two of the larger wire, the motor rocked an inch then locked, i'm guessing  dc needs to be fed to the exciter at the same time as the large wires to get the generator to act as a starter.