Author Topic: How much?  (Read 1304 times)

bigbad

• View Profile
How much?
« on: August 26, 2021, 09:23:19 AM »
I hear people talk about listers being $2-3K.  I just got a quote from a company in India that showed a 10/1 as about $600.  What is missing here?

38ac

• View Profile
Re: How much?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 11:17:24 AM »
What are you calling a Lister and where are you? To me and most others a Lister means it was built by RA Lister in England. India built engines are normally called Listeroids and are considerably less valued by most people.  Back to your question. RA Lister built CS engines that are rebuilt and ready to use will bring $3,000 dollars ever day of the week here in tbe USA. In europe where they are thick on the ground they don't bring 1/4 of that. The other thing that is missing is freight, duties and other fees that are tacked on before it reaches your door. Door to door single engine import costs to USA from India are now in the $1500 range thus there is a considerable difference in cost for an engine here and one that can be picked up at the back door of the erection shop
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 11:19:41 AM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 01:08:36 PM »
add to the cost the fact that they (indian listeroids) have been banned for import to the US
since '06.

if you try to order one, and pay the ~1500 in freight, it is very likely that it will not only confiscated at the port of entry and you will get a bill for the destruction of the engine.

very unlikely to be lucky enough to get it past the authorities given the political climate in this country.

so finding a new in the crate, preban engine here in the states, i would expect the seller to want north of 2 grand, and as stated by 38ac, the original lister engine in good running order is very rare around these parts, and if found will bring a boat load of money.

bob g

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 07:11:43 PM »
I'm not at all sure what these beasts are worth now. However, if you want a good one, they probably are not cheap. I ordered mine in 2005 and spent a full year blueprinting the engine. I ended up with a wonderful piece of equipment and at one point, (out of the blue, as I was not trying to sell it) was offered "silly" money for it. But I chose to keep it, as it really was a labor of love.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 11:30:53 AM »
Cujet, Listeroid values are all over the place. I have watched both used and new ones sell VERY cheap at auctions and have had a few through the shop that the owners had a tidy investment in by the time they paid my bill. With India price increases, currency exchange and freight charges an India engine gets very expensive. It is cheaper to import a good CS Lister than a Listeroid, the only reason to do that now would be if one wanted the higher HP versions that India offers,, in my opinion.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel