How to / DIY > Generators

Lister HA and Brush RS1B generator

<< < (2/13) > >>

mobile_bob:
it looks to me like a transformer controlled generator, the three large coils above
the selenium rectifiers sure make that case to me, however can you provide a picture of the whole back end, to include the rest of those coils?

the 415v also makes me think of 3 phase, i have an stc 12 that is three phase and has 415volt output.

if it is a transformer controlled generator, i don't believe you will be able to use an avr
 and buy the looks of the windings in the picture the enamel is looking to be in pretty questionable condition.

having said all that, transformer controlled generators are pretty interesting animals capable of much heavy motor starting loads that avr controlled generators, often having surge rating 2x that or the rated load for something like 3 seconds or maybe more.  they can be very tough and hard to kill.

you can replace the selenium rectifiers with silicon rectifiers, but the voltage drop is much less for the silicon rectifiers so the field current will be higher.  there probably is some sort of adjustable field resistor (wire wound affair with a screw terminal that you can adjust).

if you can find a manual or other info on the generator head, i would recommend checking out what you have before you opt to scrap it for a replacement head.

fwiw
bob g

Adscnc:
Many thanks Bob.
Good news I have found the manual for it online at “internal fire”
My wiring is exactly as page 4.
I note that you can fine tune the output by choosing different tappings from the transformers.
So my first task is to choose a solid state rectifier and wire that in. I need a bit of help here choosing the right one and working out which connections to use?
I also need to replace the suppression capacitors that run off the slip rings.
You mention that the enamel is not great, what exactly do you mean, what are the consequences?
I’m enjoying the learning curve on this project!
Regards
Alan

oldgoat:
You can pick a 3 phase 1000v  50 amp bridge with heatsink from ebay for about $20.00 as I assume the dc goes to the X and X1 terminals.  If not it will be 6 1000v 20 amp diodes again off ebay.

Adscnc:
Thanks Oldgoat.
You have confused me a little there.
You’ve listed 2 different items. Do I need both?
Could you explain a little further?
Thanks
Al

mobile_bob:
what i was in reference to in relation to the windings enamel, is the insulating coating
that appears to have some cracking and corrosion in the pictures, it might be just an artifact of the photo and not as bad or bad at all as it looks in the photos

in any case, i would carefully inspect those windings, and get a small can of glyptal (sp) or its equivalent and brush some on the windings to help seal them up and secure them if any are loose so they don't grind on one another from normal vibration and short.

i think the stuff is called glyptal, whatever it is, check with a motor rewind shop and they can tell you what to use, for that matter take a small jar with a tight fitting lid and see if they will sell you a small quantity.

you mention finding a manual, do you have a link to it?

many years ago we discussed either here or on the microcogen forum the transformer controlled generators, and at the time i found a link to the ST generators that are transformer controlled, but have never seen or hear of one being imported to north america, at least one that ended up in the hands of a forum member.

if that is what you have, and i suspect it is, i think you will be really happy with it once you get it sorted out.

if it were mine i would try to get it working to determine if the thing wasn't internally damaged in some way, such as shorted stator or rotor, and if it checked out ok, i might well take it all apart and replace the bearings and do a thorough cleaning, and may well also send the stator and rotor out to have them vacuum dipped and baked if it looked like the insulation was showing signs that it might be improved upon.

all in all a really nice generator design.

bob g

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version