Author Topic: Rewind of Brush 6KW alternator armature  (Read 2950 times)

LDM

• View Profile
Rewind of Brush 6KW alternator armature
« on: August 02, 2021, 05:59:36 PM »
Having worked as a genset tester at the Cinderford works of R A Lister during the first five months of 1969, I recently bought an SR2  6kW Startomatic produced in that year which I may have just worked on in the factory. (From 1971 to 1980 I worked in the Overseas Operations Division of RAL, including setting up and running Lister Diesels Malaysia, where some 10,000 engines were assembled from CKD).
It was bought unseen during the lockdown, and turned out to be incredibly filthy as a result of over-fueling - instead of SR injection pumps, ST had been fitted, which caused No.1 inlet valve to become badly worn/burnt. Fuel rich exhaust shuttled back and forth through the inlet manifold and the oil bath air cleaner to No.2 cylinder, and with no crankcase depression, oils leaked everywhere.
Cleaned up and with new valves and seats, de-glazed bores, a set of piston rings and big ends, and serviced fuel equipment, the engine runs very nicely. After cleaning and some rewiring, all of the Startomatic functions operate correctly, except that the decompressor does not actuate on account of insufficient AC voltage output (only 30 volts) from the Brush alternator.
Tests proved that there was a major short on the AC windings of the armature. Estimates from trade professionals for rewinding are in the region of £1,000.

Does any one know of a Brush SCTF 2.25 armature or complete alternator available for sale?. I am in Monmouth, South Wales (UK).
LDM

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
Re: Rewind of Brush 6KW alternator armature
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 03:10:05 PM »
I'd love to see some pics. Sounds like an interesting project. It's interesting to me just how capable these old engines are.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

LDM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 10:04:22 AM »
Please explain how to insert images on this forum - clicking the image icon does not seem to allow me to insert attachments!
LDM

LDM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 02:38:25 PM »
After a long interval, the armature was rewound by Robson & Francis Rewinds in London at a cost of £864 inc. VAT and Carriage.
It looks a very professional job, and following reassembly, all performs as it should. Hand start, push button start and Auto all work correctly, as does shutdown. Engine is running well under load, and voltage control is acceptable..
Still no information on how to attach pictures - I will do so if someone explains the procedure.
LDM

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 11:59:25 AM »
I can understand why it is so expensive to rewind the AC portion you have to remove all the DC windings to get at it and then replace them again the labour cost would be skyhigh.
 I rewound a 4Kva S.O.M. armature many years ago and the cost of my materials was about 25% of the total of the quote I received.

TGC61

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 07:02:18 AM »
After a long interval, the armature was rewound by Robson & Francis Rewinds in London at a cost of £864 inc. VAT and Carriage.
It looks a very professional job, and following reassembly, all performs as it should. Hand start, push button start and Auto all work correctly, as does shutdown. Engine is running well under load, and voltage control is acceptable..
Still no information on how to attach pictures - I will do so if someone explains the procedure.
LDM

Interested to see your post about having the alternator rewound by Robson and Francis. I have an ST2 that was installed new here in 1974 and had very moderate use but it was in an external carport and so the alternator has been exposed to a great many temperature and moisture fluctuation over a fifty year period! I'm guessing at some point it will need a refurb to extend its life. I'm told the brush alternators were not the best and it's amazing really its still producing power.