Puppeteer

Author Topic: 6/1 Lister injector specifications  (Read 2029 times)

Aberdonion

• View Profile
6/1 Lister injector specifications
« on: July 17, 2021, 08:34:14 PM »
Hi Folks, I have a 6/1 SOM which I am slowly trying to bring into service. The injector needs to be refurbished but the machine shop in Edmonton Ab. said they couldn't do it without the specifications. Does anyone have the necessary specifications? Thanks - John

mihit

• View Profile
Re: 6/1 Lister injector specifications
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 02:08:37 AM »
I'm not sure what specifications? If it's intact and one of the bryce/ bosch types then it's pretty much clean-up and run it.
I do have an exploded diagram on the PC but don't recall mention of crack pressure or anything. Either measure/mark current adjustment or don't tutu with it!

As for pintle sizes angles etc, if it's that far gone you'll be better finding a good one IMO

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 03:32:36 PM »
Personally I would be supect of a shop that didn't have or didn't know how to look up the specs.
Lister   6/1, 8/1   CAV numbers that they can cross if need be.
Pump BPF1B70CS6253   
Nozzle holder BKB50S507b   
Nozzle BDL30S46   
Setting pressure 110 atms   

I have both rebuild parts and complete new Bosch MICO injectors in stock.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 03:34:36 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Aberdonion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 04:51:04 AM »
Thank you guys for your responses which are very helpful. When I first tried to start it, there would be smoke but no fire. Now there is not even smoke so I was thinking perhaps the channel (tube) had blocked from being out of service for 15 years or perhaps more.  i will take your information and injector to a different shop and see what they say. Many thanks and much appreciation. - John

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 01:02:00 AM »
you can simply back the  nut at the injector off a turn or two and see if any fuel dribbles out as you crank (with no compression) .  No dribble = clog.   But that pipe is generally under very high pressure from the pump, and would push any clog through and maybe into the injector.
Does fuel gravity dribble out of the pump inlet if you loosen the inlet nut ?

Aberdonion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 05:32:32 AM »
Thank you Mike, you are a great help. I will try it tomorrow. - John

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 06:00:06 AM »
Depending on where you live - there are plenty of new injectors for sale; and they aren't very expensive

Aberdonion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 04:11:46 AM »
Hi Mike, where does the time go? I turned the engine with the injector out. There was a little spray coming out. Of course the engine was only turning as fast as my son could spin it. I presume at normal rotating speed the spray would be quite different. I will see if I can get my son to work up a sweat on Saturday. I am too old with too many open heart ops to think I can turn the engine myself. Good excuse anyway. I live near Edmonton, Ab. Canada. - John

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 07:05:01 AM »
With the injector off the engine, be very careful to not get high pressure spray from the injector, into your flesh.  Nothing bad happens for a couple hours, then your flesh starts to die from poisoning. Amputation is common.

The longer the period of time before treatment, the more risk you are taking on. At first, injections may feel like a bee sting or wire prick and the entry area may look like just a pin prick. Do not let this fool you. The size of the entry wound is a poor indicator of the seriousness of the injury. What looks like a simple puncture wound is in fact life threatening. The area around the injury typically turns red and swells within a couple of hours. Throbbing and numbness follow. If left untreated, the injury can lead to amputation and even death.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2532970/
https://www.mfcp.com/our-blog/bid/39816/danger-of-hydraulic-oil-injection-injuries
https://www.constructionequipment.com/hydraulic-injection-injury-insidious-potentially-devastating

Aberdonion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 03:42:56 AM »
Thank you Mike for your timely advice. While I was aware of it, it cannot be repeated too often because, as you said, amputation & death could be the result.
Many thanks indeed. - John

mihit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2021, 10:53:31 PM »
Following on, they're very easy to dismantle and clean.
Be sure to bleed the injector lines before trying to run, as above by cracking the flare nut at the injector, turning over diesel should squirt out the joint.
If it doesn't squirt there's possibly something wrong with the pump/lifter. (also very easy to dismantle and clean)

The injection pattern isn't as enthusiastic as a modern injector but should definitely be a mist not a dribble.

The next culprit will be spill timing.

mihit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2021, 10:54:59 PM »
Some injectors have a feeler pin which you put your finger or thumb on while it's in engine to check function.
They should definitely go off with a "creak"

Aberdonion

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 12:39:04 AM »
I took the injector somewhat apart but didn't see anything that would adjust. Just as well since I have no no instruments to measure minute things such as an injector.  gave it a wipe and put it back together. When installed it was more of a pressurised stream than a spray or a mist. I took it into a diesel shop today and they said to come back on Tuesday. So, fingers crossed and we will find out next week. - John