Puppeteer

Author Topic: Petter Mclaren B2 Valves  (Read 2186 times)

MrMclaren

• View Profile
Petter Mclaren B2 Valves
« on: July 10, 2021, 03:08:55 PM »
 Hello
  I have started recently to restore a rough petter b2 series 2 engine, all was going well until it came to seating the inlet valves. The valves are heavily pitted and stems are worn, they also have a shroud on them. I was wondering if anyone can tell me where I could get replacments or get new ones machined. Thanks in advance for any infomation

tiger

• Retired-Retarded-Work well with adult supervision
    • View Profile
Re: Petter Mclaren B2 Valves
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 03:32:14 AM »
contact dieselman in Kanas email gary@dieselgen.com
Metro 12/2 ST 10 KW

listard-jp2

• View Profile
Re: Petter Mclaren B2 Valves
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 09:31:57 AM »
contact dieselman in Kanas email gary@dieselgen.com

I would be surprised if Gary can help you out on this occasion, as the Petter B series diesel engine is rare to see in the UK, let alone the USA.

I struggled to get parts over 10 years ago when I had involvement with B2 engine that was in a canal boat. I had to overcome the exact same problem that you have described.

The owner managed to find some new guides (at a price that would suggest they were made from unobtainium), he also found some exhaust valves from another application that were close to the originals which I had machined accordingly.

The inlet valves were a challenge, because of the shroud on the valve head (these valves will wear on the stem because they are pegged in position, and hence do not rotate).

We got over it by having the inlet valves shot blasted and then TIG welded on the seat area and all of the stem. They were then machined  to a slight oversize on the stem, allowing the worn inlet guides to reclaimed with a an adjustable reamer. This approach with inlet valves also allowed him to keep the inlet valve guides he had bought for possible use at a later date.

If it is of interest I have a couple of +0.040" oversize pistons for that engine I would consider selling, as I have no use for them.