Author Topic: I like the Kit idea...  (Read 8132 times)

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
Re: I like the Kit idea...
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 05:23:40 AM »
I like the kit idea very much. In fact, I think there really is no better way to sell one of these engines. Yes, there is a risk of additional unresolved problems with a virgin engine. However I think those problems pale in comparison to the alternative.

I should have sandblasted my engine block. Plain and simple. I would have found the flaws right away. I also would have removed nearly all the casting sand that was stuck to the block.

I also find that the bottom of the pistons have a coating of grit on the underside. It is very thin and looks to be like unfinshed cast iron, but it is not. It took a glass beader and an ultrasonic bath in MEK to remove this coating from the underside. I have 2 different brand pistons and both are similarly finished underneath. Could it be that some of the engine wear issues come from this very fine imbedded grit coming loose over time?

A kit engine would allow easy access to these parts for inspection and cleaning.

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 12:59:59 PM »

nobody is kidding me with this one,,, i know human nature, you got this beautiful hunk of engine out of the crate and all you want to do is fire it up asap to hear it run... everybody feels it,,, but few have the self restraint to tell themselves to wait, and do it right.

I have a rule with rebuilding motorcycles.

DO THE ELECTRICS LAST.

because the state it is in when you "just fire it up for a quick test" is the state you will be riding it in for the next year or two.
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

mikern

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2006, 05:49:18 AM »
Hey Bat, what kind of 12/2 do you have and what kind of 6/1 do you want? you can email my at mikelwn@yahoo.com, if you have any trading interests. Mike

oldnslow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 07:13:21 PM »
It's tempting as hell to do a quick-clean, check the clearences and fire it up. There is so much potential to miss sand and other contaminants, I'm leaning toward tank cleaning (chemical stripping).  You then can seal the inside with an industrial enamel or epoxy, made for that purpose. Have you guys who "bead blasted" been able to get everything cleaned out?

Hotater: are you the next beta tester? Can't wait to hear your impressions, thanks. 
Mistakes are the cost of tuition.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 07:20:20 PM »
Oldnslow---

You're dead on the money on all counts.   Chemical clean then SEAL the engine.
Yes!!  I just unwrapped a PS/JKson short block and I'm IMpressed!!!  More as I go, but if what I've seen so-far is any indication of interior quality, THIS is a fine engine.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

oldnslow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 07:48:30 PM »
Thanks, H. Their kit quality was indicated to be very high.... these may be better than the latest JK's built to Utterpower specs which would be nice. You might start a new thread or give us a few tidbits here.

It would be interesting to know, for instance if you still have to go through the same sand procedure in the corners of the block kind-of-thing. Or if the piston is cast-iron and 3 or 4 ring, block like the original Lister casting etc. Bronze gears? Ok ok, I'll quit.... thanks.
Mistakes are the cost of tuition.