Author Topic: Lister Dursley Engine Identification  (Read 1199 times)

ploehn1

• View Profile
Lister Dursley Engine Identification
« on: May 29, 2021, 01:21:41 AM »
Hello
I am new here, thanks for adding me.
I have recently come across this Lister Dursley engine while helping a friend liquidate an Estate. I have not been able to find much information about this engine, and I am hoping to find help here.
The engine has been sitting outside for many years, probably needs work. I have been told not to scrap it, is it worth saving?
Pictures attached. Anything you can tell me is appreciated!
Scott
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 01:33:58 AM by ploehn1 »

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Lister Dursley Engine Identification
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 03:14:53 AM »
Looks to be either an SL1 or an LD1. Value will vary greatly with internal condition and location but if stuck value will be very low. If not stuck it would be about a $200 engine here
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 06:29:32 AM »
Welcome to the Forum,
As stated value will depend on its condition as to if the engine has seized and what condition the engine is under those covers. At the end of the day they are all worth saving and some if only for spares parts. If you don't want to keep it try advertising on your favourite site if no interests and you still wish to see it go to a good home look up a Vintage tractor and engine club near you and ask if they have a young new member who would like to have a project engine to do up as a gift from you to them. This keeps an interest in this hobby and will give a young bloke a great head start to a collection and interest in saving these gems.
I have donated a few small engines and mowers over the years and the young guys who ended up with them are still in the hobby and always come and say hello and talk about the next project/s they have found. But at least don't let it go to scrap.

There should be somewhere an engine ID tag attached to one of the covers somewhere. This will tell you the model and serial number for easy identification. The 'Dursley' part is the name of the City where the Lister factory was and were made.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 06:31:29 AM by cobbadog »
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

ploehn1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 06:08:27 AM »
Thank you for your response, some very good ideas. I would like to save it, which is why I came to the experts for advice.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 07:18:54 AM »
They are a great little engine and almost bullet proof and it will amaze you as to how much torque they have.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.