Author Topic: Iister CS 6/1 electrical problems  (Read 1572 times)

Greengrass

• View Profile
Iister CS 6/1 electrical problems
« on: June 14, 2021, 03:46:45 PM »
.Hi I am restoring a lister cs startomatic and I am having trouble with the electrical side
When I switch on the decommpessor sollenoid clicks out giving me compression and away it goes but several seconds later the decompressor solenoid kicks in and shuts the whole thind down. Whe I got it  all the wires from the dynamo to the comtrol box had been cut so I had to patch them by colour whitch was quite faded. Could it be as simple as a  crossed wire. Can anybody help?

mihit

• View Profile
Re: Iister CS 6/1 electrical problems
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 07:54:43 AM »
It sounds like whatever is sending the signal to open/close the solenoid...

Possibly weak spring on a throwout / centifugal switch?
You can of course bodgy it so solenoid is energised by seperate switch.

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 11:20:35 AM »
This might help you.

MachineNLectricMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 01:25:16 AM »
Sounds like relay contacts are wired backwards. Looks like its it's signalling for compression during the start, then signalling for decompression after startup, LOL. If the solenoid is energized to actuate the decompression, and the relay is "off" on start, the the NC contacts should be wired to the soleniod. If the relay is actually "on" during the startup timout sequence, then the NO contacts should be wired to the solenoid.

I use to do a lot of work with very complicated "Ladder Logic" relay control systems back in the 1980's, and these things are actually fairly simple to work out. The really old style relays are even easier because you can usually see the contacts very easily and note what "state" they are in at any time in a sequence.

Greengrass

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 06:48:33 PM »
I am so glad that you can identify my problem but as a total div as far as the electric are concerned is there anyway you could simplify that down to idiot level as inis there anything i can look for visually any help would be greatfully received and you would be my bestest friend for life.

mihit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 07:11:04 AM »
Post photos if you're able.

Modern relays (fathered by old ones) have five Pins. a Normally Open contact (NO); a Normally Closed contact (NC); Earth; Hot/Positive; and a trigger (positive)
Hopefully this works:

otherwise this image here:
https://aampglobal.zendesk.com/hc/article_attachments/360052933191/mceclip0.png

In your case, if it is wired backwards, it would be a case of swapping whatever wires are on pins 87 and 87a