Author Topic: 3/4" needle valve  (Read 4088 times)

mikenash

• View Profile
3/4" needle valve
« on: June 13, 2021, 08:31:15 PM »
See pics?

I have been looking at needle valves and they're not cheap

But gravity-feed isn't demanding and so a cheap Chinese one might do the trick?

I attach a link - should be easy to google

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=3128518899

Cheers

mihit

• View Profile
Re: 3/4" needle valve
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 08:00:28 AM »
Is there a whole question in your post ??

What's the application?

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 03:18:30 PM »

For what you are doing (WMO feed regulation) it should be fine.
The only issue with needle valves for WMO is the tendency to clog due to the fine passages around the tip of the needle.
Stringy bits can cause a obstruction very quickly.
So ... make sure your oil is well filtered. Maybe down to 5 microns.

veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 08:24:39 PM »
Hi Yes, I have a 4 micron filter drum.  But my oil is effectively "new" anyway - I've had no issues to date with blockages

What I have is gearbox oil with no combustion by-products or casual mixing with engine filter bits or brake fluid or whatever - and then diluted a little with diesel as I establish what works & what doesn't.  Its only contaminants are metal particles from gear wear - and I'm hoping that by letting 200-litre drums stand for a few years and then just using the top 80% or so, that these will simply "gravity out".  It seems to be very, very non-hygroscopic - when we drain gearboxes there tends to be a teaspoon or two of "clean" water in the bottom if the water-trap diaphragms have failed; but there doesn't seem to be mixture

I'll bring the feed assembly home this weekend and fit that valve below the existing isolating valve.  I'm keen to see if I can get an improved drip consistency within the limits of temperature/hydraulic pressure etc

Mihit - no, no question.  Just an observation - there had been some conversation around the use of needle valves.  But good-looking ones are expensive - so I'm keen to have a play with this Chinese cheapie

Cheers

cseyfert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 07:58:07 PM »
Hi Mike,

That one you linked is for hydraulic service and has a one-way check valve in it.  Gravity won't open the check, so unless you can remove the check valve I doubt it will work.

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 10:44:53 PM »
Hi Mike,

That one you linked is for hydraulic service and has a one-way check valve in it.  Gravity won't open the check, so unless you can remove the check valve I doubt it will work.

cseyfert,  ... Good catch !

Mike .... remove the check valve  ;D

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 08:32:54 PM »
Hi guys

lol check-valve yes.  Maybe it needs to come out - we'll see

But it blows air through at mouth pressure OK . . .

We'll see lol

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 01:16:26 AM »
Hi Mike,

Hi guys

That cheap little valve is good as it is - no mods needed

The tank is only about 250mm above it, but will adjust and stay consistent anywhere from a very slow drip to a stream of whatever size is wanted

I'm keen to fit it and have a play

I attach links to two very short, very crappy-quality, but quite self-explanatory vids

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l48gI_QLZ4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DubHK5jnVt4

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 04:57:05 AM »

Mike,

Your videos are set as "private" and are not viewable by us mere mortals  :(

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 08:28:38 PM »
Sorry, Duh

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 10:20:09 PM »
Hi guys

I recognise this is a topic in which few people are interested.  However there has been some conversation around it, I have a goal and I am working towards/maybe getting close to achieving it – so I continue to witter on about it as I play with it

What I want is a clean-as-possible oil-burning space-heater

If it will work efficiently adapted to the front of my wood-stove - with the added benefits of heating the top-plate and putting some energy into the wetback – then all the better

What I don’t want is the complexity of fans, solenoids, controllers etc.  I accept that that way lies efficiency.  It’s just not what I’m after

One of my motivations is the availability of large quantities of a “clean” oil without combustion by-product or garage workshop contaminants – just a heavy oil somewhere in the 180-240 range, maybe, with occasional contamination by metal fragments and sometimes small amounts of water

I have many 200-litre drums of it.  I figure if I let it stand for a year or two then use the top 150 litres of each drum without disturbing the rest – it should be effectively “clean”

Our small country is back in a Covid lockdown so I was isolated at that site for a few days and took the opportunity to refit the unit to the wood-stove and do a test burn for the first time since fitting a needle-valve into the drip tube (see pics and vid?)

It’s easy to get a consistent rate of feed with the new valve

The 1.2-litre top tank provides a margian of safety in that its capacity is quite a bit less than that of the burn chamber at the bottom.  So it’d be pretty near impossible to flood the place with burning oil or anything like that

I’m using that aforementioned oil 66%/33% with diesel.  It wouldn’t surprise me if a lesser dilution would work well too – and if it was pre-warmed, I think that stuff would burn just fine at 100%.  After all, it just has to drip and vapourise.  We’ll see. One thing at a time

I burned a 5.5-litre container of oil mix in four and one half hours.  That’s burning at “full throttle” and understanding that the engine of the unit is the flue; and that once the burner is red-hot and burning quietly and steadily – there’s nothing to gain by trying to feed it more oil than it will vapourise

The tube with holes in it is 125mm and the bend is 150mm

See the “clear blue sky” pic?  That’s my flue, mid-burn, and there’s no visible smoke at all

Equally there’s no smoke, vapour or smell (apart from a small hot smell) in the shed

The top plate of the stove doesn’t get as hot as it does with a fire in the firebox, of course.  But it’ll cook eggs-and-beans OK, or boil the kettle . . .

Please see a couple of images and very low-tech video attached.  Cheers

See link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1ZWFcQo6CI

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2021, 02:46:22 PM »

Mike,

Very nice job there. A very good furnace and cooking surface.
With winter approaching, you will be the one that the women of the tribe choose to breed with  ;D

cheers

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2021, 07:41:30 PM »

Mike,

Very nice job there. A very good furnace and cooking surface.
With winter approaching, you will be the one that the women of the tribe choose to breed with  ;D

cheers

By crikey - that'll be a disappointing experience for them

As a father of four, grandfather of (if I remember rightly) 11 going on 12, and with a baby great-granddaughter - my line is secure; for whatever that's worth.  But at 64, I'm pretty sure my breeding days are over lol

Good on you