Author Topic: Gaskets - how thick?  (Read 984 times)

ajcooper4

• View Profile
Gaskets - how thick?
« on: June 11, 2021, 02:37:35 PM »
I'm not happy with the cardboard gaskets supplied by Stationary Engine Parts - too thin and badly fitting in my view.

I'm going to buy some gasket sheet.  What thickness would forum members recommend for a Lister D please?

Many thanks.

mihit

• View Profile
Re: Gaskets - how thick?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 08:35:41 AM »
For what in particular? Water jacket doors? Plumbing connections?

"Beer box" thickness has worked everywhere I've used it ;)

I keep a range of various "oil safe" gasket card but couldn't tell you off the top of my head. 0.4mm and 0.75mm maybe , and yes quite a few times a literal beer box.

One of my bug-bears is poorly fitting gasket surfaces. I bought a recipro pump a few years back "reconditioned" (reconditioned by Dulux, as we say here - just painted! Asswipes.)
Any way, the valve cover came with a 1/4" rubber gasket, cranked down hard, which should have rung alarm bells,
I chucked up the cover in the lathe and skimmed it flat, and took to the mating face on the housing with a file, sealed up beaut with beer-box after that.

You don't really need to overthink it, gaskets -usually- aren't used to set tolerances. (Under lister CS head is an exception)

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: Gaskets - how thick?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 07:03:36 AM »
For water jacket covers I would use the thicker gasket paper along with Permatex #2 sealant. It does not set and can be broken carefully and the gasket can be re-used.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.