Author Topic: Lister clone Powerline 24/2 questions  (Read 2843 times)

93Ford

• View Profile
Lister clone Powerline 24/2 questions
« on: May 31, 2021, 01:05:04 AM »
I recently bought an engine that I believe to be the 24/2 as it says 24hp at 1000rpm. I'm trying to find some info on it like what is the valve lash, does it have an oil filter if so where, and how much oil does it take. It has some kind of fueling problem sometimes it runs at the rpm it's supposed to, other times it'll rev real high with the governer spring adjustment having no effect. It had sat for a while and one of the injection pumps had fuel going to it but not out, after working the rack back and forth a bunch i finally had fuel coming out, I believe that pump may need to be disassembled and cleaned as when it starts to rev high the egt on that cylinder is a lot hotter than the other. Is there any instructions anywhere that says how to disassemble and reassemble the injection pump.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 01:30:39 AM by 93Ford »

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Lister clone Powerline 24/2 questions
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 02:45:01 AM »
I have never seen a twin with a factory oil filter. That doesn't mean that there has never been one. There is no external pressure line to add a filter on a twin such as there is on a single. There only an external suction line between the pump and the sump a over the drain plug. Next time it revs up too high look to see if the racks are closing, I'd bet they are not and you don't have pump problems causing your issue  grab the shut off lever and move it  up, if the engine slows the pumps are working correctly. The India twins suffer from poorly made linkages and the resultant binding and the governor will not work correctly until you get the linkage freely working. Remove the spring and try to move  the linkage by hand, it hould move smoothly and easily throughout the range of movement.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 02:47:40 AM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 03:37:22 AM »

I would be extremely careful of over speed.

Secure something to measure the rpms of your engine.

Safety is paramount.

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

Powdermonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 03:43:31 AM »
I'd suggest taking off the front access plate, and having a look at the dippers and connecting rods.  You'll want the oil level to be JUST below the crankshaft/connecting rods.  My 30/2 has a bolt at the top of the access plate, pointed downward.  I take the bolt out, and shove a brazing rod down into the hole to measure oil level.  For me, and my 30/2, that's 1.75 inches. 

No idea about the pump, but if you're needing a spare, you might contact DES. 

93Ford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 04:51:43 AM »
I went through the linkage and everything moves nice and free. The racks are almost in the same position while running. I did notice that when it was running I was moving the linkage to lower the rpm and I could feel a fair amount of force trying to move the linkage. I have not changed the oil yet it's a little low and grey so maybe some fresh oil will lube things up on the governed area.

93Ford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 03:35:07 AM »
Does anybody happen to know what the valve clearance is. I searched the motor and there's no plate saying what it's supposed to be.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 12:55:52 PM »
Both valves set at .008.
"fair amount of force" is subjective. I assume you know that you must overcome the governor spring to slow it down and a 1000 rpm engine has a pretty stiff spring. Other than that it should take virtually nothing to move the racks. I rather imagine that when all is said and done your going to find that stiff and/or miss adjusted linkage is your issue.

93Ford

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 03:49:53 PM »
With the spring disconnected I can easily move the linkage through its entire motion. Once all the play in the linkage is taken up the racks move at the exact same time and are in the same position. One thing I did notice is there's not much movement in the arm. At full throttle the rack is not all the way out there's still about 1/4-1/2in more that it could go. If I adjust it where it does to full throttle then it won't go far enough to shut the engine off I can't lift the shut off lever. I don't know if that's just the way it's designed or if there's something on the inside that's seized up preventing it from having more throw

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2021, 10:02:50 PM »
It is normal for the rack movement to be limited by the governor and linkage. However as I said previously India does avery poor job with the twin governor linkage over on the #2 side. Without seeing it it's hard to say if it is the problem. Another thing you need to do is check the linkage adjustment. Shut off lever down. Unhook the spring.  Remove one of the pins from the vertical link on #1 side. Move shut off lever up to off. Then rotate the bell crank at the governor housing counter clock wise as far as it will go. Adjust link so pin drops in.

93Ford

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 12:45:58 AM »
Well at this point I just dont know. The linkage all moves freely and evenly iv gone through it a millions times and can't find anything wrong. If I remove the spring it'll shut itself down. I can feel the governor trying to move the linkage in the shut off direction. When I have the spring on and loose the rpm is too low so I start to adjustment. I'm moving the knob in very small  increments and waiting for the rpm to adjust and every single time it gets to a point where the rpm is to low but if I even touch the linkage in the more throttle direction it'll run away and won't come back down unless I manually move the linkage. Keep in mind, if I hold the linkage with my hand I can get it at the correct rpm and it'll stay there.

32 coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2021, 12:52:03 AM »
I tried many springs and combinations of springs before I waa happy with the govenor action.

The stock spring would not work for me.

Have you tried any other springs ?

Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

93Ford

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2021, 12:53:05 AM »
At this point it's getting rather annoying as it seems no matter what I do nothing makes any difference. The only thing I can possibly think of is there is just something wrong with the governed assembly inside the engine as it's then only thing that is left. Is there any instructions anywhere on disassemble and reassembley of the internal governer.

93Ford

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2021, 12:54:05 AM »
No I hadn't tried any other springs I'll see if I can find some and give that ago.

32 coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2021, 01:01:54 AM »

Years ago the thing was a door return spring.  Long soft spring......I tried that but no luck for me.

I went to home depot and bought a box of springs. They were about the size of the original. Some thinner
some thicker etc.

I tried several springs qnd combination of springs untill I found the combination that worked.the best.

Took several hours and many starts before I was happy with the results.

Sounds like the same problem I had.

Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

93Ford

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2021, 02:02:17 AM »
Well after trying a bunch of different springs the more it seems like the governor. It almost seems like there's a dead spot were there is no force trying to pull the arm but if you go on either side of it then there's plenty of force trying to move the arm.